can I just not use the string trees?

jackie_thompsen

• Members

I finally figured out that my jerky/unstable tuning problems were not because of binding at the nut slots, but at the string trees (strat-style headstock), despite my best efforts to lubricate them.

I decided to just not use the string trees, and let the strings go right from the nut to the tuning posts. I've tested it over and over and can hear no difference in sound.

My fear is that the angle of pull on the headstock is too much now - with the full force of the strings pulling forward on the headstock, instead of along the headstock as when using the trees.

Do you think there's any chance this could SNAP the headstock?

• Members

I don't think you have to worry about that, but you might experience a bit of loss of tone and sustain. The string trees are there to maintain a break angle after the nut to exert sufficient downward pressure at the nut.

You might want to go to Sperzel staggered height tuners (and stay string-tree-less), or also check out Graphtec string trees. But if you're not suffering any of the maladies I mentioned above, then don't worry about it.

• Members

They are mostly useful for your B & E strings to get the proper downward angle. I suggest using the Graphtech Trees. Staggered tuners help, but still the angle should be more than they provide.

No worries about the headstock. It won't pop

trees.jpg

• Members

I don't think you have to worry about that, but you might experience a bit of loss of tone and sustain. The string trees are there to maintain a break angle after the nut to exert sufficient downward pressure at the nut.

You might want to go to Sperzel staggered height tuners (and stay string-tree-less), or also check out Graphtec string trees. But if you're not suffering any of the maladies I mentioned above, then don't worry about it.

yeah what he said ^^^^^ +1000

• Members

jackie_thompsen is online now Report Post Reply With Quote

I have never ever heard of a snapped or broken Fender headstock. I'm sure it's possible if you really want to make it happen. But from falling on it's face or on it's back, never. String angle. Pffft! Even in a fight in a bar.

Without the string trees, the worst that's going to happen is your Hi-E string will hop off the nut and that's a pita when you're into a solo. I've never had the B string migrate on me though.

Archived