1995 Washburn HB35

jryan76

• Members

Hi all,

Looking for some info on this guitar..Washburn HB35. What I'm wondering...may have a chance to buy one of these..I've been looking at semi hollow bodies, would love an Ibanez AS200 or one of the new Scofield models..anyhow, this may be a little more in my price range.

To the point..is there anything better, worse, or whatever between a 95 model and a new Washburn HB35.

I want a sunburst but the new ones only come in natural and red...I could do the natural but really want the sunburst.

Wouldnt mind some feedback on these as well..I've been reading the reviews and what not I've found by searching, but any input appreciated..good or bad.

I used to have an Ibanez Artist..dont know the model, but it was a semi hollowbody with a smaller body, just like the AS200, but a much smaller body..damn..I wish I hadnt have sold that!

Okay..looking for pros or cons against and between the two.

Thanks for the help!

• Members

Hey

First off welcome. I have a 1996 HB 30 that I bought nos about 18 months ago. It also is finished cherry, which is quite attractive in hand. It's a great instrument nails a wide range of tones, I've been happy with it. So i think that as the HB35 is a step up it should be pretty nice.

• Members

I've got a '94 HB35 natural finish and it's probably the best built 335 semihollow for the price. It's made in Korea and the quality is top notch. The action is super low with no fret buzz and the neck is fast and comfortable. The stock neck pickup is a little dark but it's got a mean growl when played through hot tubes.

I got a chance to play an '06 model and except for very minor cosmetic differences (two stripes behind the neck versus the single on mine) it's virtually the same guitar.

I'd go with the '95 myself 'coz the wood is aged more and there's a certain vibe with the older wood ( IMHO of course ).

edit; The newer HB35's had the Buzz Feiten tuning system but I don't know if it's on the newest models. FWIW, none of my 29 electrics has that tuning system.

• Members

Thanks for the feedback guys, and the welcome to the forum..I'm really looking forward to spending some time here!

Basically the answers I've got thus far are exactly what I'm looking for:thu:

Now if I could just get the seller to email me back!

So...a good price, what do you think?, I'm looking at 425.00 for this one..looks to be almost new. I know they list at like 850.00...but it seems you can find one much cheaper online, but...I want the sunburst..and tlbonehead..I wish it was the sunburst like yours..that is a beauty!

Thanks again

• Members

Thanks for the feedback guys, and the welcome to the forum..I'm really looking forward to spending some time here!

Basically the answers I've got thus far are exactly what I'm looking for:thu:

Now if I could just get the seller to email me back!

So...a good price, what do you think?, I'm looking at 425.00 for this one..looks to be almost new. I know they list at like 850.00...but it seems you can find one much cheaper online, but...I want the sunburst..and tlbonehead..I wish it was the sunburst like yours..that is a beauty!

Thanks again

Ya, I paid about $330 w/case for mine. As soon as I saw it on Ebay, I said, that's goona be mine!

• Members

I have an 88 MIJ HB-35 and i love it. wine red color :)

181426847-M.jpg

181426878-M.jpg

The HB's whether made in japan,korea or china are great guitars for the money! Smooth sound and pretty good stock pups. Check out the washburn forum, theres plenty of info over there regarding the HB's. I even have heard people love the OE-30 (oscar schmidt) and thats good step down from the HB-30/35's.

• Members

I believe the 90's models have a thin neck. The new ones have a very chunky fat neck.

I would definitely prefer the thin neck! That would be more like my Ibanez Artist I used to have!

Thanks for sharing the pics simon!

I will definitely check out the Washburn forum:)

• Members

jryan76,

If you like thinner necks than I can confirm Treborklow's comment about the thinner necks on the 90's HB 30/35 models.

The Washburn HB30/32/35 series are great guitars and I recommend all of them based on the research I've done on them. You should know that a lot of the 335 style models coming from Korea (Washburn, Ibanez, Epiphone, etc.) in the 90's were probably made from the same few factories. The quality on these models are pretty decent.

I like my HB30 a lot but I can't seem to get used to the thinner neck. I actually have mine for sale. If you're interested, feel free to PM me.

A word of warning about the Washburn forum. There are a lot of info in the archives but people are really slow to respond to any questions you may post. People are much faster here, as you can already tell. :D

• Members

tincob- thats very true about the washburn forum:lol:, this forum on the other hand has been very responsive and i only joined yesterday.

my 88 HB-35 has a relatively slim neck which is great since i have tiny fingers.

The craftmanship is excellent ( great binding and the fretboard is smooth)!

Its a shame that most if not all MIJ (and even MIK) guitars dont have the reputation as the big names but most dont realize that the big names had some of their work contracted over there. Washburn has (or had) a bad reputation as they havent been making guitars in the us for awhile now but many dont realize how good the guitars were comming out of asia. Heck i keep hearing that the guitars made in china today are suprisingly good quality (maybe they are improving their processes/quality?).

• Members

tincob- thats very true about the washburn forum:lol:, this forum on the other hand has been very responsive and i only joined yesterday.

my 88 HB-35 has a relatively slim neck which is great since i have tiny fingers.

The craftmanship is excellent ( great binding and the fretboard is smooth)!

Its a shame that most if not all MIJ (and even MIK) guitars dont have the reputation as the big names but most dont realize that the big names had some of their work contracted over there. Washburn has (or had) a bad reputation as they havent been making guitars in the us for awhile now but many dont realize how good the guitars were comming out of asia. Heck i keep hearing that the guitars made in china today are suprisingly good quality (maybe they are improving their processes/quality?).

simonthepieman, cool guitars on your avatar. Here's a shot of my guitars:

CIMG3769.jpg

I guess I'll be minus the Washburn soon as I'm in the process of selling it (Strat GAS calling) but I like both my Yamaha SG and the HB-30. You obviously have good taste. :D:thu:

Archived