Floyd Rose Pricing

Jackknife

• Members

So I take my Jackson to get setup today, since it's been a bit squirrely lately, and I asked about a Floyd Setup.

The guy there tells me about about two-fifty to buy the system, then another hundred to get it set.

I can easily pick one up on Ebay for forty/fifty dollars (unless those'd be the wrong kinds of bridges :freak: )

But would I really need to pay that much to get it on there or is he just giving me their price?:confused:

• Members

It's possible that it'll just drop right in. If that's the case, then charging you $100 is the equivalent of the tech bending you over the counter and {censored}ing you right there on the spot. :o

Measure everything on the bridge you have now. Then go to here and look at the measurements of an Original Floyd Rose. If the posts are spaced the same, and the base isn't bigger than the routing on your guitar, it's about a 30 second job and shouldn't cost any more than a setup would.

http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/bridges/pdf/Original_Floyd_Rose_Diagram.pdf

Original Floyds are $170 from Warmoth.

• Members

Thought I'd check
:(

Is there anything else I can do to keep the strings set?

I can't just buy a locking nut?

Okay, so your guitar doesn't already have a locking nut. I assume that means it doesn't have a Floyd Rose of any type already.

In that case, ignore my post about it dropping right in. It'd be a pretty major surgery to have a Floyd put into a guitar that isn't originally equipped with one, and $100 is more than reasonable for that type of installation.

But, my advise would be just to buy a guitar with a Floyd.

• Members

It's possible that it'll just drop right in. If that's the case, then charging you $100 is the equivalent of the tech bending you over the counter and {censored}ing you right there on the spot.
:o

Measure everything on the bridge you have now. Then go to here and look at the measurements of an Original Floyd Rose. If the posts are spaced the same, and the base isn't bigger than the routing on your guitar, it's about a 30 second job and shouldn't cost any more than a setup would.

So if my bridge is roughly the same size it should cost that much to do all the routing and what not?

Its a vintage style strat brige, on a Jackson even, so it's prolly about the same size I'd think :idea:

I'll measure it when I can tho.

• Members

It's possible that it'll just drop right in. If that's the case, then charging you $100 is the equivalent of the tech bending you over the counter and {censored}ing you right there on the spot.
:o

That's true but if he has to rout a recess and rout for the nut, $100 is not bad.

A bone stock Strat body needs a tiny bit or routing to fit a Floyd. A recess is a lot more work.

• Members

So if my bridge is roughly the same size it should cost that much to do all the routing and what not?

Its a vintage style strat brige, on a Jackson even, so it's prolly about the same size I'd think
:idea:

I'll measure it when I can tho.

No, I misunderstood your first post. I thought you were replacing a licensed Floyd with an Original Floyd.

A vintage Strat type bridge is nowhere close to a Floyd, and would require a good bit of routing to make it work.

Sorry about that.

• Members

When you tune it, can you hear little 'pings' coming from the nut? If so, the slots are too tight and are binding the strings. That's probably the #1 cause of guitars going out of tune.

#2 would be the way you wrap the strings. You don't need a bunch of winding on the peg. One full wrap is plenty, so long as you wind them like this. The messier the windings are, the less likely your guitar will stay in tune.

http://www.deanmarkley.com/Info/Instruction/Instruction03StringChange.shtml

Just skip the parts that deal with the bridge pins on an acoustic and pay attention to how he wraps the strings on the peg. Works like a charm and basically makes any tuner a locking tuner. :thu:

• Members

Neck change = expensive me thinks so no.

It could be the nut, I left it at the shop I bought it from today and they're gonna look it over so they should fix that, if thats the problem.

And the strings get at least four full wraps, I make sure they go over and under even to keep them in place. It's a bit of a messy job, so that could be it.

If anything this issue should clear up when I get it back, if not I'll try a set of locking turners.

In that case, what tuners should I look for?

Schaller, Grover ? :freak:

Edit : The link doesn't work for me Prage :confused:

• Members

no, i think you would have to get a new, and wider neck considering a neck that is found on...umm, say a fender strat, is way too narrow to be equipped with a floyd rose bridge for the simple reason of floyd roses are WIDE. so if you keep the same neck, then around the nut, things may be fine, but as you get higher on the fret board, you may notice the strings are not exactly over the fret board.

EDIT: speaking of Schaller, Grovers. who makes better floyd rose bridges and for what reason? supposedly schallers are made to the exact details of that of original floyd, including the different metals they use....but dont hear too much about them or grover...

• Members

I prefer Schaller tuners, but they all work.

However, locking tuners don't really lock the string in tune. They just lock the string to the tuner...just like if you wound them with the little loop technique I posted. And if the nut is what's causing the problem, ain't no tuner in the world gonna make a difference.

• Members

no, i think you would have to get a new, and wider neck considering a neck that is found on...umm, say a fender strat, is way too narrow to be equipped with a floyd rose bridge for the simple reason of floyd roses are WIDE. so if you keep the same neck, then around the nut, things may be fine, but as you get higher on the fret board, you may notice the strings are not exactly over the fret board.

Floyd Rose string spacing is 2 3/32"

A Vintage Fender Trem string spacing is 2 7/32"

So Fender trems are actually a wider string spread than Floyd Roses.

• Members

Just don't do it. here's why:

Price - $300-350 in parts and labor, on a cheap guitar that won't increase it's value any.

Pickups - string spacing on your pickups are standard, not spaced for a Floyd - so you're probably looking at another $150-200 to replace your pickups.

Playability - setting the floyd up right won't be easy, and keeping it there won't be fun (for you). Reason being when doing the routing work, the tech will have to "make things work" - instead of the guitar being designed to accept the floyd.

No satisfaction guaranty- once the tech is finished, there's no saying if you'll like it or not.

Best bet is to just buy a guitar with a Floyd on it already. Either a cheap used one for $100 you can upgrade, or even a new FR series guitar with the Speedloader trem for $150. (or the newer ones with the tuners on the headstock for like $300.)

• Members

Just don't do it. here's why:

Price - $300-350 in parts and labor, on a cheap guitar that won't increase it's value any.

Pickups - string spacing on your pickups are standard, not spaced for a Floyd - so you're probably looking at another $150-200 to replace your pickups.

Playability - setting the floyd up right won't be easy, and keeping it there won't be fun (for you). Reason being when doing the routing work, the tech will have to "make things work" - instead of the guitar being designed to accept the floyd.

No satisfaction guaranty- once the tech is finished, there's no saying if you'll like it or not.

Best bet is to just buy a guitar with a Floyd on it already. Either a cheap used one for $100 you can upgrade, or even a new FR series guitar with the Speedloader trem for $150. (or the newer ones with the tuners on the headstock for like $300.)

Floyd string spacing is so close to Fender's that it doesn't matter at all. It's Gibson who has a narrower string spacing. A humbucker whose pole pieces are spaced for a Gibson string spread will be a little narrower than the poles on a humbucker spaced for Fender. And regardless, the magnetic field extends beyond the pole pieces. One of the best sounding guitars I have has an F-Spaced tremolo and a regular spaced bridge pickup. The polepieces don't line up exactly, but you can't tell by listening to it.

Closeup.jpg

Other than that, I agree with everything you said.

Archived