Buckethead - surprisingly multi-faceted

Karma1

• Members

I was watching a concert last night on PBS with bassist/producer Bill Laswell who played with a number of different configurations of musicians. Among them was guitarist, Buckethead. I've seen him a bit on tv or online, and have heard his music which ranges from freakozoid metal to ethereal new age. But last night he surprised the hell out me when he put down his guitar and picked up a pair of nunchucks (or however you spell it). He walked ceremoniously to the center of the stage and proceeded to work out with them like a martial arts master- the guy has some serious chops on them. Then he put them down and went into this really trippy robot dance, which he did very well also before going back to the guitar. I was very impressed with his multi-talents.

His guitar playing was also quite amazing, opening with a solo Edge-inspired delay piece, then covering a variety of styles. Interesting guitar too - an all-white Les Paul (not sure if it was a Gibson though, it looked thicker and had no neck inlays). It had a button on it that he pressed to make the guitar stutter like some kind of gate effect. The guy is really talented - I wonder if we'll ever know who he really is?

Archived