OT: DVD-R Regions

• Members

I have a question about whether or not DVD-R's are region encoded.

Specifically, if I burn a DVD here in the US (Region-1 NTSC), and send it to someone in Japan (Region-2 NTSC), will they be able to play it? This is for some old HI-8 footage that I want to send to my former exchange student.

Just want to make certain before I go to the trouble of authoring the DVD.

Bear

• Members

This is a great reource:

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

Region codes don't apply to DVD-Audio, DVD-ROM, or recordable DVD

[excerpted]

In general, region codes don't apply to recordable DVDs. A DVD that you make on a PC with a DVD burner or in a home DVD video recorder will play in all regions (but don't forget NTSC vs. PAL differences, see 1.19). Region codes do not apply to DVD-Audio.

• Members

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ntsc

Variants of NTSC

Unlike PAL, with its many varied underlying broadcast television systems in use throughout the world, NTSC color encoding is invariably used with broadcast system M, giving NTSC-M. The United Kingdom once contemplated introducing a 405-line NTSC-A system on top of its old black-and-white television system, but the proposal was eventually scrapped in favor of the incompatible PAL-I. Only Japan's variant "NTSC-J" is very slightly different: in Japan, black level and blanking level of the signal are identical (at 0 IRE), as they are in PAL, while in American NTSC, black level is slightly higher (7.5 IRE) than blanking level. Since the difference is quite small, a slight turn of the brightness knob is all that is required to enjoy the "other" variant of NTSC on any set as it is supposed to be; most watchers might not even notice the difference in the first place.

The Brazilian PAL-M system uses the same broadcast bandwidth, frame rate, and number of lines as NTSC, but using PAL encoding. It is therefore NTSC-compatible in sources such as video cassettes and DVDs, but its color picture cannot be received on a standard NTSC television set.--

• Members

Originally posted by spokenward

no. It's
NTSC
:)

Yes...we used too swap VHS and HI-8 tapes back and forth with our Japanese exchange student's family back in the 90's.

I just wasn't sure if it would work with a DVD-R because of the movie industry's wonderful idea of "Region Coding" DVD films. Glad to know it doesn't apply do DVD+-R burners.

Bear

Archived