Magazines/websites that would review an independent "retail ready" CD?

rlm297

• Members

Could someone please recommend a few places that would review an independent "retail ready" CD?

How can a band that's not in the majors proactively garner a large number of reviews?

Do music magazines/websites have "No CDs Welcome" policies just as A&R guys do, or do they mostly welcome CDs for submission?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

The Indie Bible is a pretty good source for magazines and websites that will review stuff.

I don't think anyone minds getting unsolicited review copies. Most of the ones you send out will be ignored, but you will get some reviews. Note also that you will get bad ones, so you have to keep that in mind.

I love reading reviews of stuff I've worked on, and I'm always surprised at what people write. You never know who will love it and who will hate it. Here's a set of reviews of CDs my band has put out over the past few years: www.hernextfriend.com/press.html

• Members

so anyone who ponies up $35 can get a 500 word review?
:confused:

Basically, yes.

When I started writing for them a few months ago, I asked "what happens if I get a CD to review that is really not very good?" They said to be truthful, but try to be constructive in your criticism. So far, I've reviewed about a half dozen albums and they've all been great (luckily). They have writers who specialize in various genres and try to assign CD's to appropriate writers so that someone who writes about classical music would not be reviewing a heavy metal album, for example.

• Moderators

Basically, yes.

When I started writing for them a few months ago, I asked "what happens if I get a CD to review that is really not very good?" They said to be truthful, but try to be constructive in your criticism. So far, I've reviewed about a half dozen albums and they've all been great (luckily). They have writers who specialize in various genres and try to assign CD's to appropriate writers so that someone who writes about classical music would not be reviewing a heavy metal album, for example.

:cool:

how do I get a gig like that? I'm doing it here for free all the time!

• Members

I do some writing for this site:
www.reviewyou.com

It costs $35 and you get a 500 word review by a professional writer. The review is posted on their website, that you can send people a link to, and also reprint it for use in your promo package.

interesting. i can see why some of us here would question this, but just checked out the site and it seems legit. some of your testimonials are from industries i respect (like the founder of CDBaby).

-PJ

Archived