Pickups for the 70's CBS Strat sound

bikehorn

• Members

I love the sound of 70's Strat. Something about those ceramic pickups and the big headstock makes it my favourite Strat vintage. Most pickups seem geared to 50's and 60's Strat sounds though and I need something that'll sound like some of The Edge's 3-bolt strats. I know there's silver Lace Sensors and EMG S, but what about regular passives? What's out there?

• Members

Best of my knowledge they were still AlNiCO V back in the '70's, they are on mine.

Several small builders make repros of the "grey bobbin" PU's for the late '60's to mid-'70's, late-'70's may call for custom wounds.

Alnico all the way in my '73, '72, '75, '76. All grey bobbin'd except for the natural '73 which has black bobbin'd PU's (stock), probably leftovers from the 60s. I consider the Fender CS '69 Pickup set to come closest to what I hear in my 70s Strats.

70strats_01.jpg

• Moderators

Alnico all the way in my '73, '72, '75, '76. All grey bobbin'd except for the natural '73 which has black bobbin'd PU's (stock), probably leftovers from the 60s. I consider the Fender CS '69 Pickup set to come closest to what I hear in my 70s Strats.

70strats_01.jpg

You're nothing to do with www.singlecoil.com in Germany are you?:confused:

• Members

They were kind of wimpy sounding (imo). When I had my 75' I ended up switching the stockers out for some DiMarzio FS-1's.

I read something along the lines of CBS being so keen to save money that they specified less turns of wire for the pickups giving a lot less output.

They also forgot how to make a proper shaped Telecaster body!:eek:

Archived