Best small (tube) combo amps?

freemusicno34

• Members

I've found that I rarely have the need for a large cabinet, and tube amps with wattage anywhere from 15-40 watts are loud enough for a lot of venues, and the bigger venues can always mic and PA you, so I wanna know what are the GREAT amps out there that aren't too big.

I hear people talking about the Blues, Jr. a lot, what other amps are considered really good?

I'm not actually in the market right now for a new amp, but it's always nice to think about. You know how everyone says you "need" at least one strat, one tele, and one les paul? Well what are the (small) amp equivalents?

• Members

The Pro Junior is a fine little amp too if you have some reverb effects handy to plug into it. I use a Boss RV-3 in front of mine and it's great for when I want to go for that small tube amp tone. Not to say the sound is small, but you know what I mean. Plus it's the only amp I own where you can dial it full volume and get a good natural overdrive tone at reasonable levels and with a fairly smooth OD tone to boot.

I like the retro tweed Pro Junior with the leather handle because it hits that classic niche I wanted to have in one of my amps. If you want clean and no tubes, but a tube sound, the Vox Pathfinder is surprisingly good, but you'll want a OD pedal in front of it for better OD tube tone.

• Members

+1 on the Tiny Terror, but even in 7 watt mode, that {censored} is LOUD. I've got a Carvin Vintage 16 that I absolutely love. Not the most versatile amp in the world, since it's single channel, but it's really nicely voiced and takes pretty much any guitar/fx you can throw at it. Quiet enough for home use, loud enough for practice/small gig if you don't need pristine cleans.

I actually need to sell mine soon; I need to relieve myself of some GAS pains, and I've got a bigger Carvin Bel Air. PM me if you're interested.

• Members

Depends on what you plan on playing out of the amp.. As the saying goes, one man's trash is another's treasure. My friend has been listening to a lot of the new White Stripes album, and Jack gets some great sounds out of amps most people would not consider good, let alone great.

All the big companies appear to make a good, small combo amp if you're willing to pay.

Hughes & Kettner Edition Tube 20th Ann.

Peavey's got the Classic series and Mini Colossal (And a large assortment of past models)

Crate has the Vintage Club and Palomino series

Mesa/Boogie Lone Star and Express series

Fenders... Marshalls...Then there is always boutique products.

I had a Classic 30 for about 2 years, and that was a fine amp, but now that I've moved on and have tried a few different speakers I agree with the consensus that the Blue Marvel speaker really limits that amp's versatility. Although I did like it quite a bit for blues/jazz. If I could just go out and grab any amp right now, it'd probably be an original Fender Deluxe Reverb. I think those sound great.

Archived