My recent experience with Gibson resale value

Alchemist

• Members

In the past 9-10 months I have unloaded a natural burst SG standard, and a wine red LP studio....

The SG Standard was bought for $850, then sold for $950 within a few days of being posted. My LP studio, which the general forum concesus seems to be would only sell used for around $750..... was bought new for $1000, and sold two years later for $1000..... within less than 24 hours of being posted:)

Just goes to show ya, an excellent quality used instrument will still fetch top dollar, even if ebay/craigslist are flooded with similar model, but lesser condition examples for much less.

• Members

That really was a sweet LP studio you had.

Why sell??

Dont have much time to play anymore.... This is my first day off to relax in two months.....

So I sold a bunch of gear...... when I have more time in a year or so (hopefully), I will buy new stuff again. Keeps things interesting that way I guess.....

• Members

Dont have much time to play anymore.... This is my first day off to relax in two months.....

So I sold a bunch of gear...... when I have more time in a year or so (hopefully), I will buy new stuff again. Keeps things interesting that way I guess.....

Thats a shame..

Think id have kept that studio though.. !!

• Members

I have never sold a Gibson online, but I've watched a lot of auctions and I have noticed some typical mistakes that people make trying to sell an expensive instrument.

Grainy, small photos.

Reserve price too high.

Too much small print.

Descriptions that overstate the item, "Best Les Paul on the planet, plays like butter, Jimmy Page"

Misspellings and grammar problems.

Dirty laundry in the background of photos.

Setting urealistic shipping costs ($40 or less seems to be the sweet spot).

If you are trying to sell an expensive guitar online, as long as you provide lots of photos, set no or low reserve price, and don't act like a paranoid ebayer who is suspicious of everyone, you can sell a guitar or amp at or above the price that you paid, as Alchemist has shown.

• Members

With the way Gibson hikes prices so consistently, it seems like if you wait a few years the new price you paid originially is the going used price for an instrument in good shape.

That seem's to be exactly it!

Which is why I got my ES 335 for under $2,000cdn, slightly used but in perfect condition. There's just no way I can lose on it.

Archived