Avid buys Sibelius as an early X-mas gift for Digidesign

• Members
Originally posted by Angelo Clematide

Are you talking about your new Bugatti Veyron?

BugattiVeyron_01.jpg

I just want to know one thing for anyone this side of the Atlantic that owns one of those: Where can you drive it? Needless to say, there's no autobahn here. :cry:

• Members
Originally posted by MikeRivers

Or, to say it simpler, I'm not eager to see the next version of the software that I know and use effectively suddenly become more complicated. Software manufacturers have learned that there's not enough profit in making simple, straightforward, dedicated-purpose software.

Actually, I just realized you are just trying to yank our chains. At first I thought you were serious.;)

• CMS Author

Originally posted by amplayer

I still disagree here. The more the tools are integrated, the less one has to learn to master the ones they need.

Well then, we'll just have to disagree on the generalization. I think it's probably true for the person just getting started, but someone who has the skills to take advantage of a fully integrated program probably already has several years of his time invested in other programs that he knows like the back of his hand. He'd need some working vacation time in order to get up to speed with a whole new program that's going to replace the several programs he already knows.

The fact that it is tempting to waste time learning and using something you aren't good at just is not a reason to stop the integration.

Oh, the train has already left the station. It's gonna happen eventually. And there are already several integrated programs right now, just not the Famous Brands. The idea isn't new.

My fear is that once the ball gets rollling, that's all you'll be able to buy. I wish that the old two-track Sound Designer had all the features of ProTools today, but if you want it to work like ProTools, you gotta buy the multitrack program. And, yes, I realize that you don't have to use all those tracks, but there's a price that you pay because you have them.

I just want choices. And my choices are different from yours.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by Brittanylips

-peaceloveandbrittanylips

Sorry, that's way too much for me to reply to. We're different individuals and we have different goals. I don't read or write music so I don't need a notation program. If I should want something written, I'll find someone to do it for me and he can use whatever tools (including a pen and paper) he chooses. I'm not going to say "I'm recording this song in ProTools you have ot use Sibelius."

Life is getting too complicated as it is. How many people out there would really rather have a phone that's just a phone and not also a camera, web browser, GPS navigator, note pad, e-mail client, and tax-and-tip calculator? Probably a lot. But yeah, there are lots of creative and efficient people who, once they get one can't imagine how they ever go along without it.

• CMS Author
Originally posted by Brittanylips

That's what I was trying to say to Brittanylips, but he (she?)

It??!!....
:idea:

Well, hell, I don't know. It's not like you have a name like John or Craig. Are you somebody famous that I should immediately recognize but I don't? Not that it matters. But I didn't want to say "he" if you were a "she."

• Members

My fear is that once the ball gets rollling, that's all you'll be able to buy. I wish that the old two-track Sound Designer had all the features of ProTools today, but if you want it to work like ProTools, you gotta buy the multitrack program. And, yes, I realize that you don't have to use all those tracks, but there's a price that you pay because you have them.

I just want choices. And my choices are different from yours.

Why must you have Pro Tools?

It sounds like you would be satisfied with Peak Pro. It's only a 2 track recorder editor, but it is very powerful.

But many of us need a lot more than even what Pro Tools offers. Hence the popularity of Logic and DP and Sonar, etc. And for those of us that really use a full featured DAW, every bit of integration helps. I only wish I could have back a few of the myriad hours I've spent tweaking the notation in Finale that originated as a standard midi file from my sequencer.

Yeah, I know you don't need notation. Well, there are quite a few features in my DAW software that I don't need either, but I'm glad they're there in case I do decide to use them. Having way more than you will ever actually use is what computing is all about. By putting in LOTS of features, it helps companies keep the cost down because they can sell it to more people. For instance, even though a lot of people use Peak Pro, they still have to charge $500 retail for it because their user base is WAY smaller than that of a mainstream DAW package like MOTU Digital Performer.

Basically, what I'm saying is that having lots of extra features and lots of integration doesn't hurt the user because in the end it doesn't cost more to have it.

• Members

Well, hell, I don't know. It's not like you have a name like John or Craig. Are you somebody famous that I should immediately recognize but I don't? Not that it matters. But I didn't want to say "he" if you were a "she."

I appreciate the sensitivity, but defer to Angelo in all matters concerning my identity:

Originally posted by Angelo Clematide

:D

A nonhuman entity, but certainly no horse.

-peacelovebutcertainlynohorselips

• Members
Originally posted by amplayer

I just want to know one thing for anyone this side of the Atlantic that owns one of those: Where can you drive it? Needless to say, there's no autobahn here.
:cry:

Not to mention the required governing chip just to put it onto a street. That's a lot of horses left in the stable.

-plb

• Members

Life is getting too complicated as it is. How many people out there would really rather have a phone that's just a phone and not also a camera, web browser, GPS navigator, note pad, e-mail client, and tax-and-tip calculator? Probably a lot. But yeah, there are lots of creative and efficient people who, once they get one can't imagine how they ever go along without it.

I appreciate your "life is getting too complicated" philosophy and agree that many items bombard the user with too many options. But that philosophy, as poetically pleasing as it is, does not extend to the tools that I use in my work.

Music notation developed over centuries. Music technology is in a comparitive infancy. When music tech matures, I would expect nothing short of complete integration and interoperability.

Like my new car, I want a delightfully simple interface at the healm of a hugely complicated (and invisible) system underneath the hood. I don't need to know where the spark plugs are, I just want it to work really really well. Every DAW should have Melodyne to the 10th power, with seamless integration betweeen audio and MIDI, recording and notation.

The DAW companies get into notation the way people get into a pool - testing it with their toes to see if it's too cold before jumping in. And the reverse is true - notation software gets more DAW-like (playback-oriented) every day but again, just testing the water. So getting two of these companies together so you have two good solutions under one roof rather than one good solution and one toe-in-the-pool solution is that much closer to a full-featured music production environment. And a full-featured music production environment is something that would make it easier for me to produce music, both alone and in colllaboration with others.

-plb

Archived