Tube AMP suggestions

EMG_GUY

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quoting Skwisgaar Skwigelf are you ?

I bought a 2 12 Peavey triple XXX 120 watts for $600.00 that has great deep cleans, classic crunch channel as well as a virtually unuesable (for me) metal channel. It can be as loud as freight train or quiet as I need it to be when the fams home.

I'm surprised no one mentioned a good Peavey prior to Motor here. Myself included. I would keep clear of the Classic series.. it's called Classic for a reason.

The XXX or the Ultra would be excellent choices. There is also the Butcher, and perhaps a good Triumph? Peavey makes some good {censored}. Buying used might be a good choice too, cheaper and more variety (there are plenty of great, discontinued models by all manufacturers).

• Members

Oh I will....and Ill take my time. I really don't want to rush into anything without being 100%. That and hopefully the prices are going to be corrected because of the exchange rate
:p

I was talking to the manager of my local Musicstop (Long & Mcquade) today and they have reduced prices. The example he gave me was a nice Gibby LP is now $300-$400 less.

Also, I sent you a private message with some info on a guy that makes amps in Ontario. Check it oot.

• Members
I was talking to the manager of my local Musicstop (Long & Mcquade) today and they have reduced prices. The example he gave me was a nice Gibby LP is now $300-$400 less.

Also, I sent you a private message with some info on a guy that makes amps in Ontario. Check it oot.

thanks brotha!!

see proof that there are some damn decent people in this forum :thu:

• Members
I'm surprised no one mentioned a good Peavey prior to Motor here. Myself included. I would keep clear of the Classic series.. it's called Classic for a reason.

The XXX or the Ultra would be excellent choices. There is also the Butcher, and perhaps a good Triumph? Peavey makes some good {censored}. Buying used might be a good choice too, cheaper and more variety (there are plenty of great, discontinued models by all manufacturers).

Is the VK not a good amp :idk:

I think its pretty good.

• Members
Oh man...so ....many.....amps....

There really are.
You could spend days just trying out amps.
At some point you just gotta say {censored} it and just go with what works.
If what you have works, dont stress over finding something else.

If it aint broke, dont fix it.

If you want to buy more gear just to have more gear, my jackson is sitting in a hardcase all alone with no one to play him. :D jk dont buy something unless you really want it

• Members
There really are.

You could spend days just trying out amps.

At some point you just gotta say {censored} it and just go with what works.

If what you have works, dont stress over finding something else.

If it aint broke, dont fix it.

If you want to buy more gear just to have more gear, my jackson is sitting in a hardcase all alone with no one to play him.
:D
jk dont buy something unless you really want it

haha ill trade you my g-310...seems like a fair trade :p

• Members
p.s. I like the whole modeling idea in my amps....because im not made of money...to buy $150 pedals.

Blasphemy, pedals are awesome.

If I were you, just spend $1000 on a head; keep the combo and spend another $1000 on pedals. :love::D

I've yet to find a modeler or multi-fx-unit that makes me 100% satisfied. :o

• Members

g-310? man.. if you've got a 2x12 cabinet, buy yourself a head, and then throw some money down on a new guitar! not to hate on the g-310.. but i haven't had good experience with them. neck heavy like a mal{censored}a.

if you're strictly into the heavier stuff, Randall makes some nice SS heads (Dime Bag's older tone).

• Members

Go to the store and try them out. That's all I ever do. Then I have a rehearsal with it and decide with my mates if its a keeper. I have amps that I like that the band hates for our style. So you need something that fits both you and their liking. Really, you should consider their input or you'll be in for odd looks.

Suggestion- stay away from anything that has a computer in it. That crap fails and really can be the end all in hot and cold changes. Get a basic amp that works and you won't have to have as many concerns in the long run. Our guy had a Vetta and it just started going haywire after a few gigs. Changing patches by itself in the middle of a song sucks. He has a JVM now.

• Members

g-310? man.. if you've got a 2x12 cabinet, buy yourself a head, and then throw some money down on a new guitar! not to hate on the g-310.. but i haven't had good experience with them. neck heavy like a mal{censored}a.

if you're strictly into the heavier stuff, Randall makes some nice SS heads (Dime Bag's older tone).

haha the G-310 is my bedroom beater...i wouldnt ever think of gigging with that pile. I use my G-400.

• Members

Go to the store and try them out. That's all I ever do. Then I have a rehearsal with it and decide with my mates if its a keeper. I have amps that I like that the band hates for our style. So you need something that fits both you and their liking. Really, you should consider their input or you'll be in for odd looks.

Suggestion- stay away from anything that has a computer in it. That crap fails and really can be the end all in hot and cold changes. Get a basic amp that works and you won't have to have as many concerns in the long run. Our guy had a Vetta and it just started going haywire after a few gigs. Changing patches by itself in the middle of a song sucks. He has a JVM now.

Sweet. I just have no idea with the difference between the Marshall amps. Like JVM, M...etc

• Members

Check out the Soldano Avenger, basically a SLO just cheaper and not quite as cool looking, or a soldano reverb-o-sonic or astroverb, the astroverb is a class a 20 watt head that you can mic and get the tube brak up with and the reverb-o-sonic is a 50 watt combo with excellent cleans, there all tube and excellent amps

• Members

I have a big issue with Marshall. My friend has the AVT 275, and the input jack (all plastic) loosens due to vibrations, and when he unplugs the input can be pulled into the chassis by the wires it is connected to.

It happened 4 times in the last year. I can normally fish it out with paper clips, but it happened again and this time I can't coax it out. He's going to have to pay someone to take apart the amp just to get at the input... just because Marshall is too cheap to use a washer.

Archived