Is your guitar playing on a subconscious level?

Jeff Leites

• Members

Originally posted by Kiwiburger

I recommend practicing the George Benson trick of singing (or "doo-dooing") the notes as you play them. If you can think of a musical phrase, and then sing and play them simultaneoulsy, that means you are playing from a musical place, and not just finger-memory wankery.

Just wanted to add, I'm not promoting mindless wanking. Its just good to have enough muscle memory involved so that it will carry you thru periods of mindlessness or self analysis when you should be singing it out. Its important. FWIW I've heard Ithzak Perlmann say he would watch baseball as he practiced.

IIRC Jeff said he was struggling with getting thru Pipeline, its not an issue of guitar solo wankage. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Raymar

How consciously I'm aware of playing depends on the

difficulty of the piece or how well I know the tune. I tend

to learn music in segments so if I'm playing something

for somebody and they decide to interupt me(why do

people feel the need to ask you questions durring a

performance? I've seen people raise their voice and

even grab the neck just to ask a question then let me

go on!)

Steve

They do this to you when your performing? You need one of those pointy guitars! LOL!

That's funny, a roadie and I were just talking about this the other day, from the other perspective.

"RV. Have you ever tried to ask a guitar player a question while they are playing? You know, just like, in the green room, he's not even plugged in....and he just keeps on playing, looks at ya but not really, mouth open, and shakes his head?"

• Members

Originally posted by RockViolin

IIRC Jeff said he was struggling with getting thru Pipeline, its not an issue of guitar solo wankage.
;)

I'm not that bad :eek: I don't struggle to get through Pipeline. I was saying that I could not tell you what the Pipeline notes are without playing it.

• Members

Originally posted by Jeff Leites

I'm not that bad
:eek:
I don't struggle to get through Pipeline. I was saying that I could not tell you what the Pipeline notes are without playing it.

A poor choice of words on my part. My apologies. The Debil made me do it.

Anyway, you are not secure with it in some fashion or other. I probably couldn't just start rattling off the notes for you to most of the songs I have known and played. But my hands know the road well from having been over it so much. The technic I described is tried and true for classical "wankers". You'll know it cold. Mitch had a good idea also. The better you know it....the better you know it! :D Good luck! This electric violin and I are going to go see if we can kick up some surf. Uncharted territory for me, sounds like fun! :):thu:

Archived