New tuners

slodge

• Members

I was changing the strings on my Epiphone Les Paul last night and one of the tuning knobs broke into pieces.

I'm not sure if there is any alternative, so I'm assuming I'll have to replace all the tuners ( I wouldn't try doing just one. )

It's sort of a chance to upgrade to better tuners, so I'm wondering if anyone out there has any suggestions. They have to fit my LP and I'd prefer black.

I'd appreciate any opinions you folks could give me.

• Members

if you want to upgrade then go ahead, sperzel's are great keep tuning dead on and string changing a breeze but You do have to drill to accompany the screws for the tuners, but If you don't feel comfy doing it just have your local guitartech do it for you

• Members

When I received my goldtop Epi G-400 from Music123 some months ago, two of the tuner (Kluson tulip style) keys had cracked off. I emailed Epiphone and after a couple of pleasant emails, I received two brand new tuners within a week. At some point I do want to replace the whole set though, since I find them annoyingly imprecise. For a cheap, quick fix contacting Epiphone is the way to go.

• Members

How long have you had the guitar?

I'm sure this is a one-off incident, but it sure as shootin' doesn't inspire much confidence in Epi's build quality and general QC.

I bought it used on ebay about 3 years ago. I haven't gone too far in trying to determine it's actual age, in part because I've read a couple of things that make me a little sceptical about it's pedigree.

You would think I would need to know, and someday I will, but I'm happy with the guitar and the money I paid for it, and I'm not looking to sell it or anything, so it hasn't been an imperative.

I've owned several Epis (whose pedigrees I'm sure of) and have never had a problem before.

Archived