Tokai Les Paul misrepresented on Ebay?

Hoddy

• Members

I'm not an expert on Tokai Les Pauls but this is being sold as a 1984, and I believe back then all of them were made in Japan...this looks like a more recent one due to the point at the top center of the headstock...I believe that indicates it was made in Korea...am I wrong?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tokai-Love-Rock-1984-Les-Paul-Style-Original-Case_W0QQitemZ300168506281QQihZ020QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Members

The serial number on the back of the headstock is correct for that year. I have an 83 and the headstock does not have that extra point so I don't know if they did that with the 84. He made it really hard to see the truss rod cover, but it seems to have two screws instead of three like the korean ones. Of course he could of easily replaced the cover and some how changed the serial number.

• Members

1984 was a turning point for Tokai. IIRC in 84 a lot of specifications changed, including the introduction of poly finishes over laquer.

Its possible that maybe this was something done for the american market in an attempt to circumvent the C+D orders against the "lawsuit" companies...

The case also looks correct for the era, Im still not sure on this one though...

• Members

Ya, the headstock does not look like any 80's Tok's I have seen. They do use that stlye headstock on the Korean models but I have no idea if they did at any point in tme on the MIJ ones.

They used that headstock on the Korean models and the Japanese models they export out of Japan to Europe for sale. You may want to check at the Tokai registry website for more info.

• Moderators

They used that headstock on the Korean models and the Japanese models they export out of Japan to Europe for sale. You may want to check at the Tokai registry website for more info.

Yup, Kevin's right, the Tokais that retail in Europe have that headstock, but in 84 I doubt they did, I also note no proper headstock shot, I believe we'd see a 3 screw TR cover

• Members

Yup, Kevin's right, the Tokais that retail in Europe have that headstock, but in 84 I doubt they did, I also note no proper headstock shot, I believe we'd see a 3 screw TR cover

Yeah, I thought the Tokai headstock dimple was a relatively recent thing, and then only for certain markets.

My recentish Tokai buy has the Gibson style headstock.

• Members

7 digit S# starting with 40, 2 screw TR cover, 2 piece top/1 piece back, mahogany neck, pearl logo inlay, Gibsonlike truss rod nut,nice pearl or mot inlays ....

except for the finish and Grovers rather than Schaller replacements the guitar could be the twin of the auction in question. Same zebra pickups.

The research I did when I bought it indicated 1984 MIJ....I suppose I could be wrong but I didn't pay collector pricing*, Also working retail I sold boatloads of LPs at high volume MI retail stores that stocked custom run (Gibson) LPs with 50s features a decade before the historic reissue business and this guitar compares well with the best of those.If Tokai wanted to sell Love Rocks in the USA post the Elger lawsuit business they needed to alter the headstock.

*always a good tell

• Members

That was a MIJ Tokai. Headstock designs went both ways, its also the original MIJ case with it. Looks like a LS-50, tuning Machines wer Mickey Moused, SDhould have dropped a set of Gibson Kluson's on. Othrerwise nice guitar. Electronics look all stock which is NO-Good. Would be nice to se the set neck joint. Some of the LS-50's had long neck tenons also. But in 54-65 Japan was pressured by Gibson so you see both types of headstocks from that era. Noy uncommon....CHECK IT OUT 1985 w/long neck tenon. LS-50

mar07_07.jpg

mar07_04.jpg

mar07_06.jpg

Mar07_05.jpg

Mar06_01.jpg

Mar06_04.jpg

This is a very good example of 85 MIJ and this is exactly what the cas, interior color, and tag look like outside the case. The LS-50 had a thicker neck or a 60 profile neck. This one was thin which is why I let it go, Friend fron CT bought it and paid $800.00 and its his main electric now. The pick-uos are a Alnico II in the neck and a JB in the bridge, being that they ar older they wer higheer output. SD tamed down the JB' s somewhat over the years.

But the big deal with these LP were the electonics. Upgrades were needed so you have to figure that in to the price. The backs were usually 2 piece center matched. Though I have seen One's, this was a one.

Archived