metronomes

cobberdig

• Members

Most musicians use metronomes at some point during practice, at the very least. They don't exactly provide "beats," per se. Just even clicks, and you can set them as fast or slow as you want. There's a free one available online (I can't remember the website, so just google it), but they're cheap and worth purchasing.

• Members

if you want to shred then practicing with a metronome is a huge help...

set the metronome to a pretty slow click and play the exercise until you completely nail it cleanly at that speed, then bump the speed up, keep doing this until you can play the part blazingly fast (or the speed you wish to play it at)... sometimes if you're having trouble playing it well at some particular speed it may actually help to bump the speed up even higher and keep playing... then when you back it down it will be easier than before

...this will help you build your chops

but don't forget that speed is only a small portion of a good guitar player's toolbox...

if you want to start doing odd meter stuff i would recommend playing with a midi sequencer and program custom click tracks or drum beats... etc...

i rarely ever play with a metronome anymore except when recording (metronome in the mix with drums, and whatever else i've programmed)... it is also helpful to play along to other music (but for different reasons than just building speed)

• Members

I hear so many guitarists that work on the chops, but timing is just off. Its very important. Strumming, soloing, anything.

I have one, but then got an alesis drum machine off ebay. Very inexpensive, and i have a blast with it, just setting up cool beats and playing along with it.

• Members

I hear so many guitarists that work on the chops, but timing is just off. Its very important. Strumming, soloing, anything.

I have one, but then got an alesis drum machine off ebay. Very inexpensive, and i have a blast with it, just setting up cool beats and playing along with it.

word....

• Members

I use the built-in metronome on the Guitar Port all the time. It lets you create different beats so you can sync up your ideas on the fly. Pretty handy.

~Blackbelt

Same here, it's a bit more like a drum machine in you can create kick, snare, high hat as your clicks

Archived