Help with Dimarzio pickups..

BloodRose

• Members

ok, got a new RG550 reissue.. Considering some dimarzios for it. I have used tons of Duncans but my dimarzio experience is limited. I find the descriptions in the catalog/website VERY un helpful.. I'll list the ones Ive used and then the ones Im curious about. If you could compare the curious to one Ive used, that would help alot.

Example: Breed is like the Paf pro with twice the midrange , has alot more gain , but not a bassy as the tone zone. good lead tone but not as searing on the highs as a Duncan JB..

Also, looking for suggestions. I play thru a PV ultra plus half stack, play blues and metal.. Looking to get a good 80s metal sound with this one.

Ive pretty much decided on a paf pro for the neck.

I've used:

PAF

PAF pro

Tone zone

Super Distortion

(lots of duncans if you can make reference to one of theirs)

Im curious about:

Norton

Air Norton

Fred

Steve's special

Breed

Evo

I like the Tone zone, but its More boomy than I want in this guitar, plus I want something more organic sounding.

I also like the PAF Pro in the bridge, but it isnt hot enough

Thanks alot!

• Members

I only have real experience with the Breed pup from your "curious" list.

I have a PAF-Pro in the neck of my Explorer. I opted for the Breed neck pup in the bridge (as per DiMarzio suggestion). It's a very cool match up. The Breeds def' have that PAF-Pro vibe going for them. When I was deciding on pups I wanted them to have the same "vibe" and gel together. I didnt want to go from the neck PAF-Pro to say a "high-fi" sound in the bridge. I don't see myself changing this combo out anytime soon.

If it were me I would consider just putting in a set of Breed pups in the RG. Matter of fact if I didn't like the stock pups in my 90 RG770 I would load up the Breed set in it. Don't know what I would put in the middle single though.

• Members

I really like the Air Zone, it's a plus output but not like the Tone Zone. The "Air" technology definately adds complexity to the sound as well.

ok, got a new RG550 reissue.. Considering some dimarzios for it. I have used tons of Duncans but my dimarzio experience is limited. I find the descriptions in the catalog/website VERY un helpful.. I'll list the ones Ive used and then the ones Im curious about. If you could compare the curious to one Ive used, that would help alot.

Example: Breed is like the Paf pro with twice the midrange , has alot more gain , but not a bassy as the tone zone. good lead tone but not as searing on the highs as a Duncan JB..

Also, looking for suggestions. I play thru a PV ultra plus half stack, play blues and metal.. Looking to get a good 80s metal sound with this one.

Ive pretty much decided on a paf pro for the neck.

I've used:

PAF

PAF pro

Tone zone

Super Distortion

(lots of duncans if you can make reference to one of theirs)

Im curious about:

Norton

Air Norton

Fred

Steve's special

Breed

Evo

I like the Tone zone, but its More boomy than I want in this guitar, plus I want something more organic sounding.

I also like the PAF Pro in the bridge, but it isnt hot enough

Thanks alot!

• Members

I only have real experience with the Breed pup from your "curious" list.

I have a PAF-Pro in the neck of my Explorer. I opted for the Breed neck pup in the bridge (as per DiMarzio suggestion). It's a very cool match up. The Breeds def' have that PAF-Pro vibe going for them. When I was deciding on pups I wanted them to have the same "vibe" and gel together. I didnt want to go from the neck PAF-Pro to say a "high-fi" sound in the bridge. I don't see myself changing this combo out anytime soon.

If it were me I would consider just putting in a set of Breed pups in the RG. Matter of fact if I didn't like the stock pups in my 90 RG770 I would load up the Breed set in it. Don't know what I would put in the middle single though.

Why the breed neck pickup in the bridge I wonder ?? Id love to hear that pup combo. I have an explorer with a Duncan 59 (bridge model in the neck for hotter blues tone) and Duncan Custom 4 in the bridge.

Sounds like the Breed is pretty popular.. I put a duncan custom in the guitar last night to try.. not bad... Have a bud gonna loan me a Norton to try too.. If the Norton isnt it, Ill try a Breed.

Thanks to all so far!

• Members

I'll also go with a Breed in the bridge. It was actually built to warm out the sound of 25.5" scale basswood guitars with trems.

My Heartfield Talon has a Breed in the bridge, FS-1 middle, and Humbucker from Hell in the neck. The HfH is my favorite pickup ever so far, but you've already settled on a neck pickup. I'll definitely suggest the Breed though. You cannot go wrong with that thing

• Members

For the bridge I would suggest the Steve's Special. I've tried quite a few Dimarzios but I always go back to the SS. It's pretty hot, but you still get a lot of definition and clarity with it due to the way it's voiced. I especially liked it in combo with a Humbucker from Hell in the neck. The Norton is my second favorite Dimarzio, it's a really warm sounding pickup but it lacks some of the clarity that the SS has. Good luck on your search.

• Members

Why the breed neck pickup in the bridge I wonder ?? Id love to hear that pup combo. I have an explorer with a Duncan 59 (bridge model in the neck for hotter blues tone) and Duncan Custom 4 in the bridge.

Sounds like the Breed is pretty popular.. I put a duncan custom in the guitar last night to try.. not bad... Have a bud gonna loan me a Norton to try too.. If the Norton isnt it, Ill try a Breed.

Thanks to all so far!

Not sure why they recomend having a breed neck pup in the bridge of set neck, fixed bridge guitars. Does the trick though. I like it because it is a medium powered pup that uses the alnico 5 magnet.

DiMarzio has a pretty cool exchange policey if you do not like the pup you buy once installed. I beliee it's a 30 day exchange. Save your receipt.

• Members

In my Jackson JDR-94, I have a PAF Pro in the neck, and a Tone Zone in the bridge. They complement each other PERFECTLY!! I assume your Ibanez is basswood like my Jackson??

Should work for you nicely:)

EDIT - I just re read the OP and you said you want 80's metal tone?? A lot of 80's shredders used PAF Pro's in the bridge. Just my 2 pennies worth.

• Members

In my Jackson JDR-94, I have a PAF Pro in the neck, and a Tone Zone in the bridge. They complement each other PERFECTLY!! I assume your Ibanez is basswood like my Jackson??

Should work for you nicely:)

EDIT - I just re read the OP and you said you want 80's metal tone?? A lot of 80's shredders used PAF Pro's in the bridge. Just my 2 pennies worth.

Yeah, basswood.. I have a paf pro in the bridge of an old Kramer and like the tone, but need something with more power

thanks

• Members

Ok.. So far. I REALLY like the Norton.(only fault is that it is super linear and almost lacks character.. But is giving me the power I want and the range) But,with all the recommendations for the Breed, Im thinking I need to try one. But, since Im out of work and cant afford to experiment. Can someone Compare the Breed bridge to either a norton bridge or Paf pro. How are they similar? how do they differ?

Obviously the breed has more power than paf pro..

thanks

• Members

Ok.. Last dilemma.. what is the difference tween Breed bridge and breed neck if both run in the bridge?? I have what appears to be a breed neck in the bridge of my rg right now and it is Amazing.. Norton no, more ..this is smoking. but I wanna make sure the bridge model wouldnt be better since that is what it was designed for.

Thanks

• Members

The Breed bridge has more winding, so it makes more power (17k) and sligthly more bass and mids, compared to the neck model (10k). Some people find the bridge model overpowered and slightly dark, so they go with the neck version in the bridge. The Breed bridge was designed not only for the bridge, but specifically for basswood bodies with Floyd Rose trems, a combination known to produce a somewhat thin tone. That

• Members

I have both the tonezone and breed bridge in the bridge positions of different guitars. There very similar, but I find the Tonezone to be a bit more raw and classic sounding, while the breed has a smoother modern sound. These differences are very slight, mind you, and might have more to do with the difference in guitar construction than differences in the pups themselves.

I have used the Norton. Good pup, lacks the character of the Breed and Tonezone.

Anonther solid choice would be the SUperDistortion. Didn't almost all of the 80's metal guys use one of these in the birdge?

• Members

I have both the tonezone and breed bridge in the bridge positions of different guitars. There very similar, but I find the Tonezone to be a bit more raw and classic sounding, while the breed has a smoother modern sound. These differences are very slight, mind you, and might have more to do with the difference in guitar construction than differences in the pups themselves.

I have used the Norton. Good pup, lacks the character of the Breed and Tonezone.

Anonther solid choice would be the SUperDistortion. Didn't almost all of the 80's metal guys use one of these in the birdge?

Thanks! Yeah, I just sold my Epi Ace Frehley with 3 super distortions in it..:cry:

ACE5.jpg

I may try the Breed. I like the TZ but its just too huge on the bottom for what I want in this guitar..

• Members

Ahhh, memories.

I had a yellow RG550 back in the day and outfitted it with a PAF Pro in the neck and Megadrive in the bridge. I was going for the Satch and Vinnie Moore tones respectively (back in the day). The Megadrive is still made to order BTW.

I really like PAF Pro's in the bridge and would recommend it even if the output is not too hot.

Archived