Swapping necks on a 72 thinline reissue tele

BIGD

• Members

I believe Warmoth has a 3-bolt option... however, I think it says they don't carry 3-bolt hardware, but I guess you could just use the old neck plate and screws.

I'd just bust out the measuring tape to make sure the pocket dimensions are the same.

• Members
the '72 Tele Custom is one of the nicer necks I've played....
:confused:

You done gone and busted it, haven't you?

:rolleyes:

Nah, i just don't like the vintage frets..how the hell I'm I supposed to shred on those? :cool:

My question was, is possible to convert the neck pocket to a 4 bolt?

• Members

You don't have to do that. Use a 3-Bolt neck with whatever radius and fret-size, and finish you chose. You'll have to have t made by Warmoth though.

But if you talking about just Bolting a 4-Bolt on to a Three-Bolt body? I suppose it could be done. You'll have a extra hole in the body pocket. I haven't fooled with anything like it so I'm not sure what other issues's will show up?

If you really like the body, I would have a neck made. I never liked the necks of the MIM Thinlines because of the Vintage frets and the thick Poly finish around the frets. I just looked elsewhere for Thinline's. MOF I'm fooling with a VM Thinline by Squier and am seriously impressed with the guitar. It has a 7.25 radius but M-J frets, Which make a big difference on that radius IMO. Also the board is Rosewood. So no issue there.

But what I'm saying is, selling and buying another is a option also.

• Members

So why not just get a refret with the fretwire of your choice?

This WOULD be less expensive than a whole new neck. Probably, anyway.

I don't see why you want to convert it to a four-bolt. Is this just so you can buy an off-the-rack neck from Warmoth or Allparts?

• Members

Just rechecked the OP, which mentions a rosewood board. In which case, a new neck -- with all the 3-bolt/4-bolt compatibility nitemares -- becomes mandatory.

Unless the rosewood is an absolute must, the lo-hassle solution is deffo a refret.

• Members

Just rechecked the OP, which mentions a rosewood board. In which case, a new neck -- with all the 3-bolt/4-bolt compatibility nitemares -- becomes mandatory.

Unless the rosewood is an absolute must, the lo-hassle solution is deffo a refret.

With Warmoth offering the 3-bolt option, if he really wants the rosewood he should be able to get it for not too much more $$$ than a refret, right?

I'm basing this on the assumption that refrets average around $150-$180, like they do around here, and that you can get a whole new neck from Warmoth with whatever size frets and pre-drilled 3-bolt for about $175.

Archived