What is the best sub-$500 tele?

dabowsa

• Members

This was recorded with the semi-hollow (not by me). Neck pickup. Hot, full & bright. Has P90 qualities.

Recorded with the semi-hollow special (ie High Output pup) or the regular semi-hollow? That pic looks like the classic style pickup.

Man, that does sound sweet, eh?

Are there other differences between the Classic and the Special other than the pickups? Should I be torn between them, or is there a clear winner?

• Members
Recorded with the semi-hollow special (ie High Output pup) or the regular semi-hollow? That pic looks like the classic style pickup.

Man, that does sound sweet, eh?

Are there other differences between the Classic and the Special other than the pickups? Should I be torn between them, or is there a clear winner?

Semi-Hollow Special. Yup, loved the tone (clip was from an instructional blues DVD). Made me buy the Tribute model (I'm cheap) :)

gltribute_asat_special_sh_001.png

G&L makes a few Classic & Special models, check them out.

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/index.asp

• Members

• Members

Yeah, I've been on that page a bit. I'm sort of feeling the urge to pull the trigger on one of these this morning:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&_trksid=m37&satitle=g%26l+asat+tribute&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sabfmts=1&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&sabdlo=&sabdhi=&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=

1st, 2nd, or 6th one. Obviously, you like the 6th
:D

Yes! If you have the chance play it first though. It doesn't sound much like a tele and you can't replace the pickups shouldn't you like it. :) I have other guitars for the tele sound.

• Members

Just won this with HSC - $280 + $20 s/h. Better tell my wife not to buy me any Christmas presents...
:thu:

Thanks for all the replies, everyone!

7f10_1.JPG

I CAN'T BELEIVE you got that WITH OHSC for that cheap !!!!! Dude, you completely SCORED in ever sense of the word !!! I have the exact same guitar (posted above) - you will LOVE IT!

• Members
Just won this with HSC - $280 + $20 s/h. Better tell my wife not to buy me any Christmas presents...

Thanks for all the replies, everyone!

looks like an awesome score, check back in and let us know how ya like it :thu:

I have the same guitar with a maple neck, love it to bits

• Members

I have one of these (Mine is black). It is badass. I bought it from Elderly and took it back about 2 weeks later because it wasn't setup right. It had some fretting out on the upper register and they could not get the action low without buzzing. They decided it needed a fret level. They did the fret level for free and it plays like a DREAM!!!! I bought some Fender/Schaller locking tuners for it many months ago but never installed them because they have some little pegs for stability that do not line up. I left the thing in the gigbag for probly 5 months and just pulled it out a few days ago and restrung it with some Fender Super 250 11-49s. I love it. It sounds good and feels great. The neck for me feels better than my American Deluxe Strat. It was like a NGD all over again!!! I would definitely check it out. If you can do a little fine tuning work on your own, this will be a great guitar.

SQVMTSSH-OWT_front.jpg
SQVMTSSH-OWT_body-front.jpg

• Members
That's great. I was watching that guitar too but decided I wanted something different. Great score. I'm glad I didnt bid and drive the price up.
Enjoy.

Hahaha, me too!

I really couldn't believe no one else was waiting to snipe that one.

Elderly seems very cool - pictures of the actual guitars, etc. - glad to hear they took care of you after the sale!

• Members

Squire, MIM, MIJ, G&L Tribute, other?

How can I tell on online retailer's sites if a tele is MIJ or MIM?

Should I consider a Squire '51 or Gibson Melody Maker?

If i can not afford a Fender Jim Root Tele (...and i know i can't) i will not twice to get this one, whenever i need a Tele: :evil:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-PTStandard-Electric-Guitar?sku=513042

Not your "traditional" Tele i know . . .

;)

Archived