guitars with interesting electrics...

cobberdig

• Members

Arkay theres a cimar guitar on your site looks pretty cool whats it like as a player.

It has the wrong bridge on it. It came with a nasty, corroded LS-5 wide-travel bridge. Looks like this one...

221430.jpg

I put a standard Tune-o-Matic on it which can't be lowered as much so it has an insanely high action. Will have to get the correct bridge one day.

Getting replacement 4 + 2 tuners which fit without drilling new holes was also a pain in the ass. I ended up having to buy 2 sets of Schaller M6 mini tuners. If you can find one in a good condition it's probably worth it.

• Members

Back in 1971, a friend of mine, Jeff Baxter wired up for me, my first hot wired guitar, a Gibson '59 Melody Maker. It had two stereo Gibson pickups, toggle switch, in/out phase, series/parallel, humbucking to single coil spin-a-splits on the tone controls, mono/stereo switching.

I had many guitars hot wored after that. What I found was that there are some "useful" tones and some not-so-useful, depending on what you are playing.

I also found out that with all the extra wiring, you lose some natural guitar tone. After playing with hot-wired guitars for 25+ years, I went back to stock wiring and found out that I don't really need the extra wiring to get the job done.

Possibly the best mods, if you have the pickups for these, are hum to single and in/out of phase. i don't even have those in my current guitars as I have no need for them at this time.

• Members

My first "expensive" guitar was an Ibanez ST-300 like this (but in orange) in 1979:

st300-78st.jpg

It has an active booster for mids and highs and tri-sound switches for each of the humbuckers allowing single coil tap and coils out of phase.

360px-Ibanez_Studio_ST-300_knobs_and_swi

These days I don't play it because it makes my Les Pauls feel like a feather weight ...

• Members

I have PRS Santana SE that I've done some electronics mods to.

First I installed a Sustainac Stealth Plus system and a three-way mini toggle for the three sustainer modes. Then I put in a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom humbucker in the bridge with a three-way mini toggle to switch between series/parallel/single coil mode. And lastly, I installed a Roland GK2A guitar synth pickup that I use with my Roland GR33. On a non-electronics level, I put on Graph Tech saddles and Planet Waves locking tuners. All in all, an awesome guitar capable of all kinds of interesting sounds.

• Members

My Carvin 127 with Tom Anderson pickups installed. Let's see if I can remember what all these switches do. The right most switch chooses if the coils are in series or parallel for the neck pickup. The white switch to the left is coil selector left right or both. Next is the standard 3 way pickup selector. Then the series/parallel and coil selector for the bridge pick up. The two switches next to the master tone are a phase and a series/ parallel switch for the pickups.

P1010679.jpg

P1010678.jpg

Archived