Gibson Les Paul VOS 1958's: Chambered vs. Non Chambered.

BadCompany89

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOL...the sticker came off. I was just documenting the unpacking process when it came in yesterday. This guitar is going nowhere but in my mitts. How could anyone part with something like a '58 Reissue VOS?

Gil

Maybe if they traded it for a mint condition 1958/1959 les paul standard? :idk: Just maybe.

• Moderators

How could anyone part with something like a '58 Reissue VOS?

Cause I don't like it as much as my Classic, despite the 60s neck on the Classic, this one just has summat the 58 doesn't, I'd still have to swap out the pickups and the fretwork is nothing special, and the horrid red stain on the back makes me want to vomit....why do that to bloody good mahogany:mad:

Take the control plate off the back and see how they "finish" the stain.:cry:

• Members

Haha, I kept mine on for a week or two when I got my strat.

Jings! And you're in Canada! Aren't we all supposed to hate our next door neighbours? ;)

I'm just trying to imagine a Scottish guy going out with an English flag on his scratchplate...

...nope - I can't imagine it.

(not that I condone such petty nationalism, of course)

:thu:

• Members

Cause I don't like it as much as my Classic, despite the 60s neck on the Classic, this one just has summat the 58 doesn't, I'd still have to swap out the pickups and the fretwork is nothing special, and the horrid red stain on the back makes me want to vomit....why do that to bloody good mahogany:mad:

Take the control plate off the back and see how they "finish" the stain.
:cry:

Don't over-sell it now ;)

• Moderators

Don't over-sell it now
;)

You should know me by now Alec, mincing words is summat I don't do....it's a brilliant guitar, and if I had the money I'd keep it and play it every now and again, but the back colour is my biggest problem, if it were natural, brown or Gold Top caramel then I'd struggle to sell it, but every LP I've got rid of including Marc's (Metalhead UK) Lemon Drop I got rid of cause of the back colour, look around my house, it's dripping with oak, yew, mahogany, teak, iroko, sapele, ash, walnut and there ain't a bit of red stain in sight.

The fret reference was a reflection on what I expect to put on a guitar

Now you made me sound like a weiner trying to offload a ringer:lol::lol::lol:

• Members

You should know me by now Alec, mincing words is summat I don't do....it's a brilliant guitar, and if I had the money I'd keep it and play it every now and again, but the back colour is my biggest problem, if it were natural, brown or Gold Top caramel then I'd struggle to sell it, but every LP I've got rid of including Marc's (Metalhead UK) Lemon Drop I got rid of cause of the back colour, look around my house, it's dripping with oak, yew, mahogany, teak, iroko, sapele, ash, walnut and there ain't a bit of red stain in sight.

The fret reference was a reflection on what I expect to put on a guitar

Now you made me sound like a weiner trying to offload a ringer:lol:
:lol:
:lol:

Oh, I know your banter by now - just takin' the pish ;)

I've got to admit I don't like the sound of that red stain either. Plain would do just nicely. Were the original '50s models stained red?

Could always take it up the sunbed salon for an "accelerated fade"...

• Members

Aaha....I forgot to say....it's PLEK'd:thu:

I heard they do that now. Christ I wish someone would offer Plek here in Scotland, or at least the north of Enkland :mad:

I agree, that stain's severe - I really didn't expect that. Other photos of '58s I've seen didn't show as saturated a stain - so either the photos I saw were unrealistic, or there's some manufacturing variation (or both).

• Members

Jings! And you're in Canada! Aren't we all supposed to hate our next door neighbours?
;)

I'm just trying to imagine a Scottish guy going out with an English flag on his scratchplate...

...nope - I can't imagine it.

(not that I condone such petty nationalism, of course)

:thu:

I had no idea that it would be like that between Scotland and England, seing as how they're both part of the UK... On a side note, I'm half Scottish.

• Members

I had no idea that it would be like that between Scotland and England, seing as how they're both part of the UK... On a side note, I'm half Scottish.

Well, you know that film, "Braveheart"? ;)

It's a rivalry that goes back many hundreds of years. It has in the past led to pitched battles & bloodshed, but the most violent it ever gets these days is during the odd chance meeting in an international football tournament (a chance that Scotland rarely sees for all its success in international football, it has to be said!). We used to play each other in 'friendly' football matches, but the noticeable lack of friendliness led to their eventual abolishment.

Things have flared up again a bit in the last five years or so, with our (now nationalist) Scottish government seemingly gaining renewed support for Scotland breaking away from the UK altogether. This has seemingly created tension on both sides of the border...

I try not to get into it. As far as I'm concerned there are plenty of arseholes in England, and there are plenty arseholes in Scotland - their nationality makes little odds to me. I'm happy to stay part of the UK, but who knows where things might lead in years to come...

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1334515

So which half of you is Scottish then?

P.S. Hope y'all don't mind the OT post too much.

• Members

Well, you know that film, "Braveheart"?
;)

It's a rivalry that goes back many hundreds of years. It has in the past led to pitched battles & bloodshed, but the most violent it ever gets these days is during the odd chance meeting in an international football tournament (a chance that Scotland rarely sees for all its success in international football, it has to be said!). We used to play each other in 'friendly' football matches, but the noticeable lack of friendliness led to their eventual abolishment.

Things have flared up again a bit in the last five years or so, with our (now nationalist) Scottish government seemingly gaining renewed support for Scotland breaking away from the UK altogether. This has seemingly created tension on both sides of the border...

I try not to get into it. As far as I'm concerned there are plenty of arseholes in England, and there are plenty arseholes in Scotland - their nationality makes little odds to me. I'm happy to stay part of the UK, but who knows where things might lead in years to come...

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1334515

So which half of you is Scottish then?

P.S. Hope y'all don't mind the OT post too much.

Thanks for the history lesson. My dad's side is Scottish, my mothers's side is Irish.

Archived