Gibson Les Paul VOS 1958's: Chambered vs. Non Chambered.

BadCompany89

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Both wrong, they both pretty much sound the same......one word tho

SUSTAIN:wave:

I played my 58 about two weeks ago....it's still going

but next word

WEIGHT:cry:

I prefer to pick up my Edwards and my Classic before the 58

Go figure

Actually, i have both. My chambered 59 (with Burstbuckers) sounds different to my solid body 59 (with Burstbuckers) - softer mids and less bass, and the differences in sustain between the two are neglible.

• Members

I have a fancy for a '58 VOS plaintop (can't abide flamed tops these days). I believe they use a slightly lighter variety of mahogany for the VOS range, so while still being a relatively heavy guitar, the non-chambered '58 VOS isn't as heavy as a LP Standard would be, sans chambering.

I'd go for non-chambered if I had to buy blind. Obviously if you have both side-by-side, you go for the one that sounds best (assuming it doesn't warp your spine).

They say the "early '50s profile" neck on the '58 VOS is rather thick. I'm a Fender guy, so I'm not sure how thick an "early '50s" LP neck would be... Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know how the '58 VOS would compare with, say, an EJ Strat? Cheers.

• Members

Both wrong, they both pretty much sound the same......one word tho

SUSTAIN:wave:

I played my 58 about two weeks ago....it's still going

but next word

WEIGHT:cry:

I prefer to pick up my Edwards and my Classic before the 58

Go figure

YOU bought a '58 VOS, Sean?

After digging at me for buying 'expensive' Bare Knuckle pickups!!!

;)

• Moderators

Was that new? If so, would you mind telling me where you bought it?

Also, how do you like the neck on the '58? Can you give any comparisons, wrt thickness, to Fender necks?

In what way doesn't it measure up to the classic? You prefer the hotter pups?

Cheers.

I bought it off an eBay trader called waynelivermore, who I wouldn't advise anybody to touch with a barge pole. It came with a dead neck pickup which eventually turned out to be a dead bumblebee cap, but he swore black n blue it had left him fine and didn't want anything to do with it. I eventually spied the original stockists name Martin Guitars in TN, who I mailed and he sent me a Bumblebee immediately, great bloke.

The neck is chunky, but certainly not the same thickness as my Warmoth boatneck which is full 1", I'll measure it later but it feels about 0.860-.090" at Fret 1 and its a rounded D profile, absolutely gorgeous lemon/mustard colour limited to a few dealers in the US. It is a beautiful guitar, but:

1. Gibsons {censored}ty red stain back

2. Burstbuckers aren't quite my taste, not enough jangle

3. The weight, just too much, it'd be a brilliant standard in a studio where a LP sound was required.

My Classic has a lovely more vintagey coloured top, it's been beat up a bit and I'm don't up like new cars, motorcycles or guitars....just too much responsibility. The Classic came with Fralins, which although nicer than the BBs, still weren't quite right, but as a tale I told I really wanted some double creme buckers which that nice man Bryan Gunsher wound for me and tweaked them to what I asked for.

Classic:

Classic2.jpg

9995_3.JPG

b0a4_3.JPG

• Members

Does the sticker on the pickguard come off very easily?

Yes, it is one of those plastic stickers that use static cling. Just peels off with absolutely no residue left behind. Colorform stickers come to mind. Man, I'm old.....Colorform stickers....straight out of the 60's. (Lead-free, of course).

Gil

• Members

I bought it off an eBay trader called waynelivermore, who I wouldn't advise anybody to touch with a barge pole. It came with a dead neck pickup which eventually turned out to be a dead bumblebee cap, but he swore black n blue it had left him fine and didn't want anything to do with it. I eventually spied the original stockists name Martin Guitars in TN, who I mailed and he sent me a Bumblebee immediately, great bloke.

The neck is chunky, but certainly not the same thickness as my Warmoth boatneck which is full 1", I'll measure it later but it feels about 0.860-.090" at Fret 1 and its a rounded D profile, absolutely gorgeous lemon/mustard colour limited to a few dealers in the US. It is a beautiful guitar, but:

1. Gibsons {censored}ty red stain back

2. Burstbuckers aren't quite my taste, not enough jangle

3. The weight, just too much, it'd be a brilliant standard in a studio where a LP sound was required.

My Classic has a lovely more vintagey coloured top, it's been beat up a bit and I'm don't up like new cars, motorcycles or guitars....just too much responsibility. The Classic came with Fralins, which although nicer than the BBs, still weren't quite right, but as a tale I told I really wanted some double creme buckers which that nice man Bryan Gunsher wound for me and tweaked them to what I asked for.

Great stuff, Sean - cheers for the info. PM sent.

Archived