Speaker cab update

pimphat22

• Members

Hey all, i had a thread about my speaker cab project a little while ago. Well, i started last weekend and here's where i'm at tonight. I took some more "in progress" pics with my camera phone but i can't load them on to the computer yet. Anyway, it's 3/4" birch and i made it 13" deep. It fits my carvin head perfect. I wanted this for home use since i have the 412 at our rehearsal space. I have ordered vintage 30's (my christmas present) for it. Still needs the back panel covered and installed but i'm done till i get my speakers. I got all of the tolex and hardware from ebay. Just wanted to share some pics w/ y'all

cab1.jpg

cab2.jpg

cab3.jpg

:thu:My new home rig....

cab5.jpg

• Members

That looks really good. Getting the grill cloth even is the hardest part IMO.

In the DIY forum, there's a thread I started over a year ago called "Step by step head cab build" or something like that, and it was bumped just this week. Somebody there posted a great link to how to do the corners on tolex (because I half assed mine, but they were covered by the metal corners anyway, so I wasn't worried too much about it). Anyway, the link he posted made it look really easy, and his corners turned out great.

• Members

Yeah...i really hacked up two of the corners in the back but then i got the hang of it. Besides, The corners cover it anyway. The hardest part for me was sanding. I dont have a router so i actually used a belt sander to shape all of roundover edges and corners...what a pain in the ass!:rolleyes:

• Members

That looks really good. Getting the grill cloth even is the hardest part IMO.

In the DIY forum, there's a thread I started over a year ago called "Step by step head cab build" or something like that, and it was bumped just this week. Somebody there posted a great link to how to do the corners on tolex (because I half assed mine, but they were covered by the metal corners anyway, so I wasn't worried too much about it). Anyway, the link he posted made it look really easy, and his corners turned out great.

i found that. cool link,thanks:thu:

• Members

Absolutely. I spent around 120 bucks for everything but the speakers. And it's custom made to the size i wanted. i LIKE IT

sweet. Im not really good with speaker prices or know how to find em.

new, used?

probably looking for some 12 inchers.

• Members

sweet. Im not really good with speaker prices or know how to find em.

new, used?

probably looking for some 12 inchers.

well, i bought a pair of celestion vintage 30's from a fellow guitar player i know for $150. You can probably get them even cheaper on ebay but with shipping it will be around the same or more. I also have heard good things about "warehouse guitar speakers" which are supposed to be pretty nice for the price but i have not heard them. Ebay always has a few good deals on there.

Archived