Help me figure this strat model

briansr

• Members

Hello... new to the board..

I bought it used, the guy didnt have much info on the guitar... Its an Fender American Stratocaster, Teal Green Metallic finish.. maple fretboard but i dont know the specific model

here are some pics

general shots

headstock

headstock(back)

bridge

6 screw bridge?.. standard tuners, pearloid pickguard was an upgrade, modern headstock decal, (notice that thers only one string guide) .. (American Traditional decal at the top of the headstock) 5 way switch... and thats about it, dont know on what else to specify on...

First I believed it was an American standard... but it has a 6 screw bridge... that only comes in Highway ones and Vintage guitars (not featured in standards) ..I had been told, that its a 57 strat, but the serial number, in mine is N908642, and 57s starts serial numbers starts with a V... its not a HW1, you can tell from the finish, which is enamel, HW1s have a nitro-laquer finish....

Im not 100% sure about the information above... so feel free to correct me if im wrong

so help me out figure out whats the model..

• Members

I can's see the whole serial number and the "F" in fender, but it almost looks like a mexican with a "Made in USA" decal added. But I'm no expert.

**I guess I should have read your post better. I thought the serial number started with M, not N. My bad

• Members

Not sure what model it is but maybe this will help (from the Guitar Dater Project):

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the

Corona Plant (Fender), USA

in the Year(s): 1990

i checked that earlier...that info is not really exact.. fender had a problem with these guitars.. specifically with the ones that have serial numbers N9+5 or 6 digits... they were made from 1990-1999.. its not really that accurate

• Members

I can's see the whole serial number and the "F" in fender, but it almost looks like a mexican with a "Made in USA" decal added. But I'm no expert.

its an American, thats not the question.. you could tell only from the feel/sound and the playability, says made in USA, has an american serial #, and "american traditional" decal on headstock

• Members

Cool strat! I thought the "N" was for "90s" and the "9" would make it a 1999 model. I could be wrong about that though. I think the new ones are "Z" for "zero" and the next number being the year.

I haven't seen an American standard with that style bridge. The 57 would have different tuners (and might not have been available in that color). Also, the decal I think would be different? And of course, the SN would start with a "V".

Could be the model noted above. I hadn't ever heard of that model - but it does look a bunch like the California series that was out around that time.

Very cool strat - love the color combo. :)

• Members

What are the pickups? Could it be the whatever the SSS version of the Big Apple (HH) and Lonestar (HSS) Strats? I forget what it's called, but didn't those have vintage bridges, too?

No--

the Roadhouse, Big Apple, and Lonestar Strats had the American Standard 2-point trem.

• Members

Cool strat! I thought the "N" was for "90s" and the "9" would make it a 1999 model. I could be wrong about that though. I think the new ones are "Z" for "zero" and the next number being the year.

This is my understanding too, on the dating.

It's very nice. :thu:

Archived