Brian May Guitars

CanuckKid_15

• Members

I never understood the desire that people have to sound and look exactly like their idol. Also it must be strange for May to see all these copies of his once unique guitar.

Oh, Brian May isn't exactly what I'd call my idol.. I actually don't listen to mass amounts of Queen.. I just think the guitar looks tits and it also looks like a pretty versatile one at that.

• Members

I am not what you would call the biggest Brian May fan ever, but I do like Queen as much as any other band from that era.

I bought one because it is just a cool ass guitar and is pretty unique. The neck is fat which is what I prefer so that was a deal sealer for me. The Trisonic pickups sound like nothing else to be honest, I have no real way to explain them other than they are their own sound.

Fit and finish are very good and it plays great. The only cheap part is the tremolo and to be honest it is better than any vintage style Fender I have played. You can't expect to do Steve Vai {censored} with it and stay in tune, but it does great with vibrato and one thing that is cool is that it doesn't give a lot when you do bends. And speaking of bends...holy {censored} this thing just loves to do them. Between the 24 frets and the short scale combined with an ebony fretboard you can do a two step bend with just a flick of the wrist.

And it does a hell of a lot more than Queen cover tunes, with 13 different combinations of pickup settings there are a lot of familiar and not so familiar tones you can get out of this beast. Another cool thing is that the pickups are in series so as you turn more of them on the louder it gets. If you use the bridge and middle pickup in phase it is noise cancelling and sounds like a really nice humbucker.

For the money I don't think that you can find a guitar as unique and as functional as this one. I love mine and it is in the 'do not ever sell' section of my collection.

• Members

I'm pretty sure that on Brian's original, he had the trem springs (actually motorcycle springs, or something of the sort) under the cover.

Haha I love that. Even the body wood was made from an old piece of furniture, it goes to show that you dont need the best quality parts to make an awesome guitar.

• Members

Haha I love that. Even the body wood was made from an old piece of furniture, it goes to show that you dont need the best quality parts to make an awesome guitar.

Think it was a fireplace mantel if I remember right. I doubt it was cheap wood though.

• Members

wasnt it oak? not cheap, but not the typical guitar wood.

I'm just saying that you'd be surprised at the quality of wood used in home building back then. While Brian built his own guitar, his parent's were by no means 'poor'. If I remember right, they had redone the mantel in their home and the old mantel was sitting around. I had read several Queen books a number of years ago and some of the history of the guitar was mentioned buy I don't remember the full details. Think Brian goes into some of it in the most recent issue of Guitar Player as well. Also shows some great shots of the original guitar in that issue.

For myself, I've been wanting one but have big concerns over the size of the neck after playing a Guild Brian May years ago. Brians a giant with big hands. My small hands struggled with the baseball bat neck on the Guild and something tells me this one will be the same. As for sounding like Brian, even with his gear few people can. For many, it's like owning a bit of history, even if it isn't the actual guitar.

• Members

I'm just saying that you'd be surprised at the quality of wood used in home building back then. While Brian built his own guitar, his parent's were by no means 'poor'. If I remember right, they had redone the mantel in their home and the old mantel was sitting around. I had read several Queen books a number of years ago and some of the history of the guitar was mentioned buy I don't remember the full details. Think Brian goes into some of it in the most recent issue of Guitar Player as well. Also shows some great shots of the original guitar in that issue.

For myself, I've been wanting one but have big concerns over the size of the neck after playing a Guild Brian May years ago. Brians a giant with big hands. My small hands struggled with the baseball bat neck on the Guild and something tells me this one will be the same. As for sounding like Brian, even with his gear few people can. For many, it's like owning a bit of history, even if it isn't the actual guitar.

yeah i was just asking actually, i read somewhwre it was made of oak.

houses used to be built form what we would consider "rare and exotic" stuff, they thought it was boring old lumber. theres a house for sale near me, about 100 years old. has solid plank ebony floors and its not really a fancy expensive house. crazy bastards :)

• Members

Somewhat down market from the Brian May model is a guitar I picked up recently by Aslin -Dane. They call it the Bohemian and it is exactly like a BM in looks save for the trem cover. Semi solid body 3 minibuckers (instead of trisonics) but same switching. The neck is interesting not so much deep as it is wide. it might be one of the widest necks I have ever come across. I like it though, fun guitar. No way I could ever nail any BM but it has lots of unusual tones. You can get them for about 275.00 from a place called www.AdirondackGuitar.com

They also make a 3 P90 version with a stop tail that looks pretty cool.

• Members

I imagine Brian is absolutely thrilled with the proliferation of this design. I think he's an engineer at heart, and he (and his father) put together a highly innovative and practical electric guitar design that was like no other around. I am, of course, a slobbering Queen fanatic, but I don't think its necessary to like this guitar.

Now, a "Superyob" reissue...that would demand a fanatic!

• Members

I'm pretty sure that on Brian's original, he had the trem springs (actually motorcycle springs, or something of the sort) under the cover.

Motorcycle engine valve springs.

Other innovative features include a "Zero Fret" , 24 Fret neck, and a myriad of pickup switching options.

• Members

I used to have a Burns BM when they first came out and sold it last year to one of my studes. It sounded good, but did feel odd compared to my Strats n Ibanez's. But the neck wasnt that fat at all...Burns made sure that they wasnt like Brians original as they wouldnt be accepted to the market as most peeps wouldnt get on with the huge neck. So, unless the BM guitars now ie the same ones built in place of the burns(practically the same guitar plus the semi circle mock cover behind the trem and slightly updated more friction free trem) have changed the neck dimensions which i seriously doubt then you who have said baseball necks are probs used to skinny ibanez necks cos the Burns wasn't that different to a Strat neck..no deeper maybe slightly wider.

My fave necks on my guitars are my PRS CU24 Wide fat, and SG Standard...not really fat but more meaty than a Strats. Feels better to me!

• Members

I'm definitely thinking of getting one of the new Brian Mays in white within a few months. I've been on a hardcore Queen binge lately, culminating in the new Live in Montreal DVD. I saw them on MF for around $600, but they're back up to $700-800. Still, great price and it seems pretty well built. Anyone have one and care to comment?

Archived