best DiMarzio combo?

2_Fast_2_Vader

• Members

never been into DiMarzio's too much. but I want to give them a try as I'm tired of the Duncan products.

I want the cleanest, smoothest neck pickup, and a bridge that can give me modern hard rock/metal tones with plenty of mids and lows, but not muddy.

Dimarzio elite, please enlighten me as to what I should look into and why.

thanks!

• Members

What model guitar are they going in? You looking for single coil or humbuckers?

The big dif' between Duncan and DiMarzio (imo) is that Duncan tend to be on the brighter side of the spectrum compared to DiMarzio which are (imo) "darker" sounding.

The pup descriptions at the DiMarzio website are (imo) very accurate and worth checking out.

• Members

I'm rather fond of the Dimarzio X2N I've got in my Warmoth soloist. I'm not as happy with the PAF pro in the neck though, but it sounds pretty good.

Mmmm....The X2N has always interested me. Someday I will score a deal on one and give it a try.

The PAF-Pro is a nice pup(imo) depending on the guitar it is in. I had one in my Explorer for a while. It was cool but was a little to "even" sounding for it. I have the Ibanez / DiMarzio "Pro" type version in my RG770. Sounds great.

• Members

it's going in an Ibanez RGA121 Prestige. mahagony body, maple top.

I'm hearing a lot of good things about the Breed in the bridge, that it's very well rounded for leads and rhythm.

I had a breed neck model in the bridge of my Gibson Explorer. DiMarzio recommends the neck version in the bridge for set-neck / fixed bridge guitars. Anyways......it sounded very cool (imo). With some crunchy gain it got what I call the "Brothers Young" tone....a little bit Angus with a little bit Malcolm.

The Breed set might be just the thing for your axe.

• Members

thanks for the recommendations fellas. I went with a air norton for the neck, and breed for the bridge. basically, I've personally heard the Air Norton, and thought it sounded sweet clean. and the breed sounded like the most well rounded pup. it can handle leads and rhythm. and even DiMarzio's page seemed to have it aimed at me. the only D-pup that had me thinking twice was the thier Super 3. but there just wasn't enough info on the net to support it.

I went to an eBay store, and ended up saving $20 over ordering from musicians friend. :thu:

• Members

I got me a set of Breeds for my similar Ibanez S470 (both mahogany).

It's supposed to sound like a more metal-voiced PAF, so it sounds really good for 80's metal like Maiden and even classic rock stuff.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7157498&postcount=201

There are some clips for you from a guy who was helping me pick out pups.

• Members

PAF in the neck and Evolution in the bridge. The Evolution sounds better than The Breed.

Better is subjective...

PAF and such a high output bridge pup like the Evo is an odd combo. The Air Norton would probably be a better match for the next, even the Breed Neck with an Evo bridge.

• Members

Better is subjective...

PAF and such a high output bridge pup like the Evo is an odd combo. The Air Norton would probably be a better match for the next, even the Breed Neck with an Evo bridge.

The PAF is has a more vintage and balanced eq. It's very warm in the neck position and very versatile. The Breed is supposedly Vai's version of a vintage style pickup but fails. It craps out during solos.

The Evolution doesn't have crazy high output but has everything you need. The eq gives you a nice balance of bottom, mids and highs. It has balls and warmth yet cuts through the band without being annoyingly piercing ala a Super Distortion, JB, X2N, etc. It also cleans up extremely well like a Steve Morse bridge.

I have that set up along with a Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues single coil in the middle position in just about all my guitars. The Air Norton is just another reason to spend more money on being anal about pickup eqs.

Archived