Gotta Love Wireless Mics

flemtone

• Members

To find it, the camera operator turned up the audio on his camera while an officer walked among the protesters saying: "Can you hear me now?"

That was pretty smart.

But grand theft??? What the hell wireless mic merits a grand theft charge? I didn't think any state listed the amount for grand theft under $1000. Seems like petty theft to me, but IANAL.

- Jeff

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

Guess you haven't purchased any high end wireless broadcast mics lately, huh?

No, I haven't. But a precursory glance at the top brands (i.e. Sennheiser) shows that most of the top-of-the-line wireless mics for TV/Broadcast are still under a grand.

Which models were you thinking of, Where?

- Jeff

• Members

Originally posted by Jeff da Weasel

No, I haven't. But a precursory glance at the top brands (i.e. Sennheiser) shows that most of the top-of-the-line wireless mics for TV/Broadcast are still under a grand.

Which models were you thinking of, Where?

- Jeff

Felony theft, in many jursidictions, is based on a $500 amount. Any mid level wireless mic will cost more than that.

Specifically, I found this webpage describing Florida law that says, in part:

Theft...

...Theft of property valued at $100,000 or more is grand theft in the first degree and a first degree felony. Theft of property valued at $20,000-100,000 is grand theft in the second degree and a second degree felony.
Theft of property valued at $300-20,000 is grand theft in the third degree and a third degree felony.
Theft of any other property is petit theft and a second degree misdemeanor. (The category of larceny, the taking of property without consent and with intent to steal, is still used for reporting purposes.)

• Members

According to Answers.com (not the most reliable source, I'll admit..) and relative to shoplifting:

In some jurisdictions within the United States, certain egregious instances of shoplifting involving large dollar amounts of merchandise and/or a high degree of criminal sophistication may be prosecuted and punished as burglary or otherwise as a felony.
The dollar amount to constitute felony shoplifting can range from be quite low such as $100 in Vermont, to quite high such as $2,500 in Wisconsin.
In some states a high dollar amount can constitute a higher felony, a prime example being Arizona where a shoplifting incident greater than $2,000 constitutes a class five felony.
Indiana is the only state in the country where an act of shoplifting is considered a felony regardless of dollar value.

Archived