the value of wood in a guitar..

Saturday

• Members

..i discovered it last week.

i have a japanese telecaster. and then, after some thoughts, sold my 2nd guitar (samick 335 copy) and bought the following:

- squier stratocaster (korean)

- a set of 54 stratocaster pickups.

so i thought, well, the strat is lower quality, but with the high quality pickups, it would be on par with my telecaster with stock pickups, right?

wrong.

the strat sounds so much thinner than the tele that is not even funny. i think it's because it's just plywood. it's a vintage white strat with a maple neck, and it's a pleasure to play, but it sounds just way shrill. it sounds better indeed with the new pickups, and it's obvius that they are good pickups, but it's just the wood it seems. it just doesn't resonate enough.

so,

- wood matters a lot.

- i think it's better to go with a mim stratocaster or something with a solid wood body and good pickups than cheap guitar + pro pickups

- i will wait and save some real money till i can get a guitar that is better than my tele. meanwhile, i will be a one guitar man. probably the only one in the hceg? heh.

• Members

I doubt that Fender 54 pickups are know for fat sound.

I used to have MIJ 50's series Stratocaster and I replaced the pickups with Fender Texas Specials. I couldn't believe how thin and weak they sounded compared to the cheaper stock pickups. I put the stock ones right back in.

• Members

i don't think is the amp, i played them both thru my silverface twin reverb. also tried it using amplitube and guitar rig, the difference is staggering.

the pickups, mm , may be. the custom shop 54 are supposed to be really trebly?

• Members

if you think of this from a physics point of view, what you;re saying is wrong.

because of all the glue in the plywood body, it would be more dense than a regular solid piece of the same wood.

Strat pickups are thin, thats a fact, maybe you're a humbucker guy

• Members

no way i'm a humbucker guy, i sold my 335 just for that, didn't liked the sound of the humbuckers - specially on the bridge. and my tele has a strat pickup in the neck , so i like the sound and a tele's bridge pickup is also trebly... i like treble!

i like the high-end on the strat but it's a noticeable lack of low-mids in every note i play. is REALLY noticeable if i swap a guitar for other. i need to change all the settings from the amp in a sec. also it sounds muddier when i play open chords, lack of definition from each string.

• Members

CS/54s are one of the best pickups in the world. ( I have them in my 50th anniv. Ltd. edition American series Strat) That is a great sounding guitar. And it CAN sound very heavy with a Soldano SLO 100 believe me.
It also will nail : Funk, Blues, Coutry, Classic rock, Hard rock, and on and on.

Archived