Squier Affinity Strat vs. Yamaha Pac 112J

Migboy

• Members

Hi All,

I'm trying to figuire out what would be the best way to go with a trainer guitar for my son (12). I've heard a lot of good things about the Yamaha, but I've also saw that the Affinity Strat won as the best under $500 guitar in "Guitar and Bass" magazine. I don't want to spend a lot $$$, but I don't want something he'll get frustrated on either. Are either of these decent guitars to learn on, or should I look elsewhere? Thanks.

• Members

look here:

Great beginner guitars, better value than the squier or the yamaha

Less expensive doesnt neccesarially mean better value.

HCEG has tought me one thing above all others.

There are some really good quality inexpensive guitars out there.

Before I started coming here, I used to be a HUGE gear snob.

I personally believed if it didnt say Gibson, of Fender U.S.A. or something similar, Jackson U.S.A., whatever, that it couldnt be anything more than garbage.

I'm so glad I payed attention to all the people here that love their inexpensive guitars, because it opened my mind enough to where I actually gave a Squier Tele a chance.

It turned out to be one of the best guitar purchases I have ever made when it comes to the Quality/value ratio.

I have owned and do own, many much nicer instruments, but they are not proportionately nice compared to their price.

Anyway, my point is, I have played a pacifica, and I am a big fan of the quality of Yamaha, not just for guitars, but for ALOT of their products,

I cant speak for Rondo, Ive never played one,

But I am unfortunately one of those that likes to have my guitars look like the brand they are modeled after, if quality and all other factors are equal.

I would take a squier strat over a pacifica, just based on looks alone, considering that the quality is equal.

In the case of the New Squier Affinity Teles, I think it has an edge

over just about anything else in its price range recently.

I dont personally know about Rondo, and it may be that the extra savings make this an even better value because the quality is still high, but I would still lean towards the squier, because it looks like the original, and for all practical purposes, is a fender, and not an unlicenced knockoff.

• Members

I've been a huge fan of the quality and value of Yamaha products for over 35 years, although I did sell my 112.

For a variety of reasons, I think a young teenager would stay satisfied with a Yamaha 112 somewhat longer than they would with a Squier Affinity Series.

• Members

I personally own and have done fret and nut work on several Squiers, one SX, one Yamaha Pacifica, one Epiphone and one Agile. In my opinion, the quality of the Yamaha overall was miles ahead of all of them save the Agile, which was comparable for three times as much.

Yamaha's reputation is well earned. Whether or not you like them personally, they have some of the best quality control in the music business, all the way down to their cheapest stuff. Get a Pacifica and pop some better pickups in it and you'll be rocking for years to come.

• Members

I've owned a lot of cheaper guitars and I've owned more Squiers than any other brand though most of mine have been older. But if you or your son aren't pretty good at picking a 'good one', I'd suggest that the Pacificas are more consistant than Squiers... certainly more so than the Affinity series. At Guitar Center, they are the same price and I think the Pacifica is definitely the way to go between them.

Also, if you are unsure the direction he might go as far as playing styles, I'd suggest getting an 'H/S/S' guitar which means two of the pickups are the same as in traditional strat type gutiars, but in the bridge position, there is a 'humbucking' pickup which allows for a lot of 'classic rock' to 'modern rock' to heavy metal and alternative styles.

If funds allow... and I'd really try to find a way for them to allow... I'd get a professional setup. This makes sure the strings are as low as possible without buzzing and ensures that the intonation is good which means it will sound properly in tune throughout the fretboard. I'd call all the shops in your area - every single one of them - and ask if they do setups in house or if they have a third party do them. And I'd be trying to find out who DOES have a third party do them. Hopefully if three or four local shops have the same third party take care of that kind of stuff, that's a good sign. Should be somewhere between $25 and $50 and it will be the best $25 to $50 you spend on your son's guitar.

:thu:

Archived