changing the strings on my Ibanez....

Avalanchemaster

• Members

hello.

I am changing the strings on my Floyd Rose equipped double locking trem system Ibanez FOR THE FIRST TIME....

can anybody give me tips?

I read on here that you could put a 9volt battery under the trem to keep it stable while I string it, is that so? so what is the best advice you can give me for doing this?

I have seen many people put the string through the tuner peg first and pull it through, across the neck, clipping it and then putting it in the "clamp" in the bridge last, then winding it up after stretching it a bit.....

am I on the right path? is there a sticky for this? perhaps there should be....:cop:

• Members

I do it exactly how you described. The best bit of advice I have is to change em ONE AT A TIME. This way you don't have to worry to much about the trem bottoming out into the body. Remove a string, put the new one on, and then tune it up to pitch before going to the next string. Other than that, it is about as simple as it sounds.

• Members

I no longer cut my balls off :thu:

I pull them through the tuning pegs.

I replace each string on at a time and pull the string through make one or two turns and pull the bar down, cut the string to fit and repull the bar and stick the end into the bridge with the allen wrench already on the screw and tighten while holding the bar down.

when I let go it's already semi-tight and tighten the tuning pegs and start pulling on the strings and then tune it.

• Members

I no longer cut my balls off
:thu:

I pull them through the tuning pegs.

I replace each string on at a time and pull the string through make one or two turns and pull the bar down, cut the string to fit and repull the bar and stick the end into the bridge with the allen wrench already on the screw and tighten while holding the bar down.

when I let go it's already semi-tight and tighten the tuning pegs and start pulling on the strings and then tune it.

LOL !!

+1

Geeez. Didn't know the Floyd-Rose was such a pain to re-string. Do you do this every week? Restring, I mean.

jwhite

• Members

So last night I tried to restring it without a string turner, bad idea, totally {censored}ed up a set of strings,

today I restrung it- put a spoon under the trem to hold it in place, started with low e, high e, a, b, d, g, basically alternating to keep the tension. I have it restrung, but the intonation is all {censored}ed and when I try to retune it, each successive string seems to go out of tune.......so it must be a spring tension problem, eh? if so, do I just have to loosen or tighten the spring tension in the backside of the guitar?:idea:

• Members

So last night I tried to restring it without a string turner, bad idea, totally {censored}ed up a set of strings,

today I restrung it- put a spoon under the trem to hold it in place, started with low e, high e, a, b, d, g, basically alternating to keep the tension. I have it restrung, but the intonation is all {censored}ed and when I try to retune it, each successive string seems to go out of tune.......so it must be a spring tension problem, eh? if so, do I just have to loosen or tighten the spring tension in the backside of the guitar?
:idea:

If it was OK before,I wouldn't mess with the springs,unless you changed string gauge.Just keeping stretching the strings,but don't pull 'em outta the bridge...

• Members

If you have something blocking the trem like a spoon or a piece of wood, a 9V battery etc...you don't have to do one string at a time. It doesn't matter..the blocking device is keeping the tension on the springs. I pull all the strings off and clean/oil the fretboard nicely...maybe even polish the frets up a bit!!

• Members

today I restrung it- put a spoon under the trem to hold it in place, started with low e, high e, a, b, d, g, basically alternating to keep the tension. I have it restrung, but the intonation is all {censored}ed and when I try to retune it, each successive string seems to go out of tune.......so it must be a spring tension problem, eh? if so, do I just have to loosen or tighten the spring tension in the backside of the guitar?
:idea:

-----------------------------------------------------------

You would have avoided this if you had tuned up each string as you went along.

Now you have to keep going thru all the strings until you finally find the sweet spot on all of the strings that is in tune all the way thru the strings and also keeps your trem bar in the proper position level.

One last piece of advice,...don't crank down on your allen key too hard. Just do them tight enough. Or you will break something.

The nut lock can develop string rut/gouges or crack and or strip.

• Members

-----------------------------------------------------------

You would have avoided this if you had tuned up each string as you went along.

Now you have to keep going thru all the strings until you finally find the sweet spot on all of the strings that is in tune all the way thru the strings and also keeps your trem bar in the proper position level.

One last piece of advice,...don't crank down on your allen key too hard. Just do them tight enough. Or you will break something.

The nut lock can develop string rut/gouges or crack and or strip.

ah, thanks!

Archived