Guitar Grounding Problem!

nyck

• Members

I have a problem with my guitar.

whenever I don't touch anything on the guitar(volume rolled down or not), it makes the classic buzzing sound. It's not too bad, but it's definitely noticeable enough to be annoyed by it. I hate always having to put my hand on my guitar. The guitar is wired up correctly. All ground wires are going to the top of the volume pot and the ground wire from the tremolo is on there as well.

The guitar doesn't have any shielding from the looks of it, could that be it?

Help!

Thanks

• Members

Might the ground and hot be reversed at the jack? Also check for a cold solder joint. Especially the tremolo connection to the back of the pot. And remember to connect the back of the pot to the output jack's ground. And there's always a chance the pickup is bad.

• Members

Are you sure this also happens with the volume down? This kind of problem is quite normal for an unshielded guitar but should not happen with the volume down. Shield it anyway, it will help in most occasions. Where I live there's a number of sources that will make any guitar I play hum now and then (humbucker or not) when I'm not touching the strings but it's a lot better now then before I shielded my Strat. My Epi now suffers a lot more from this problem actually. Could be because it's a semi hollow (the electronics aren't shielded in any way, shape or form) and because of the open coil bridge pickup.

• Members

Are you sure this also happens with the volume down? This kind of problem is quite normal for an unshielded guitar but should not happen with the volume down. Shield it anyway, it will help in most occasions. Where I live there's a number of sources that will make any guitar I play hum now and then (humbucker or not) when I'm not touching the strings but it's a lot better now then before I shielded my Strat. My Epi now suffers a lot more from this problem actually. Could be because it's a semi hollow (the electronics aren't shielded in any way, shape or form) and because of the open coil bridge pickup.

+1

If it does it even when the vol pot is turned all the way down, it is likely that your jack wires are inversed or the groung not connected to anything.

Archived