Is an OCD useful in front of an already dirty amp ?

guitarchaz

• Members

I typically run my trace elliot speed twin on its dirty channel, with the gain set medium gritty, so that the sound cleans up to a clean/mildly overdriven tone when I roll the guitar's volume back. I roll the volume full up and kick on an OD pedal to fatten things up a bit and get more sustain for heavier rhythm riffs and leads . I have used numerous pedals in this capacity, and presently a Cusack screamer is in that spot. Always being one to experiment, the OCD clips sound really good to me on their own. Would it be overkkill to drive the front end of an already driven amp ? Any comments from anyones using it in this capacity ?

Thanks.

• Members

I think it's going to like any other OD/Fuzz/Distortion in front of an already driven amp, you have see if it works with your rig or not. OCDs sound cool on their own sure but the question is will it sound good with your rig? Being that a TE is not a very common amp, hard to tell. I've had OD pedals people rave about that I've sold because they didn't work in that capacity. My current rig uses a cheap piece of crap DOD Fuzz pedal in front of the amps dirty channel as a slight boost, sounds oh so sweet. But, the pedal sounds just terrible on its own, you just never know.

• Members

I liked the OCD as a boost or on it's on. I did not care for it on the high gain channel of anything I've had except for a boost. Like posted before you never know untill you try. The OCD has pretty good resale value so if it doesn't sound good you can sell it and not lose to much.

Used it on a 2203, 5150 and a GH100L.

• Members

I like mine...I personally think it sounds best on the lower gain settings, used more in a boost function with a touch of gain. It's a very transparent pedal, lets alot of dynamics come through, and doesn't have the big mid hump like many overdrives do. It also has a {censored}load of boost available, you can really slam the amp with it. It's not super creamy and sustainy though, although it does make things sound thicker. I use my Direct Drive more for the higher gain "violin tone" stuff.

Oh yeah I use it through a modded Deluxe Reverb RI mainly...if I'm at home, into a clean amp, if I'm jamming, into a dirtier one.

Archived