Domain Name Question (should I use this?)

Jack Q

• Members

I have a domain name I want to use, but someone else is using one (for music) that is the same except spelled differently. For a hypothetical example, (and to not give away the domain name I want), I want the name krismusic.com and someone else is using crismusic.com. Do you think it is OK to use and market a website like this? I REALLY like the domain name I have and want to use it, (as it uses my name and is clever), but don’t want people to mistakenly type in the name wrong and go to the wrong (other guy's) website. Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I think I want to open MACDONALDSHAMBURGERS.COM and sell computer burgers.

I recall a story about Mac Computers wanting to get into music and starting Apple Music, but then they got a letter from McCartney's lawyers and decided the name was already taken.

• Members

Apple Corps (owners of Apple Records) took Apple Computers to court around the end of the 70's to make them change their name. The result was that Apple Computers paid Apple Corps 80 grand and kept the name but promised not to get into the music business. They also signed a contract that said they'd do so.

When Apple Computers opened the iTunes Music Store, Apple Corps sued them again, claiming breach of contract. The court cleared Apple Computers based on the content of the contract, which said nothing about digital music.

In 2007, Apple Computer announced a settlement in which it paid Apple Corps an unknown amount of money for the use of the name "Apple" to basically do whatever the hell they want in terms of music business usage. The rumored amount was 500 million.

• Members

I have a domain name I want to use, but someone else is using one (for music) that is the same except spelled differently. For a hypothetical example, (and to not give away the domain name I want), I want the name krismusic.com and someone else is using crismusic.com. Do you think it is OK to use and market a website like this? I REALLY like the domain name I have and want to use it, (as it uses my name and is clever), but don’t want people to mistakenly type in the name wrong and go to the wrong (other guy's) website. Any thoughts?

You'll have problems if you try to trademark it and if you're both selling music-related products tied to the domain name, but if that's not a concern of yours then I don't see why it really matters. Sure it's annoying, but what can you do except offer to buy the other guy out?

Archived