John Mayer's Taste in Gear...

Joranges

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You guys who arent convinced of john's playing need to watch his performences on the Crossroads 2007 DVDs. You will then see he has all the stuff you guys say he lacks.

I've seen enough of him to acknowledge he is good.

I thought he was better with acoustic work.

• Members
It just seems like he dumbs it down for chicks

In case you didn't know, this is a really sexist comment to make. I would let teeny-boppers slide, but making such a comment about an entire gender shows exactly how close minded and dumb you really are. I don't even need to bother trying to enumerate all of the "chick" guitarists who would kick you and John Mayer's asses around inf a guitar slinging competition, because I couldn't possibly name them all.

• Members

In case you didn't know, this is a really sexist comment to make. I would let teeny-boppers slide, but making such a comment about an entire gender shows exactly how close minded and dumb you really are. I don't even need to bother trying to enumerate all of the "chick" guitarists who would kick you and John Mayer's asses around inf a guitar slinging competition, because I couldn't possibly name them all.

wow

• Members

Pretty sure they weren't insinuating women have lesser taste in music. I took it differently...that he dumbs down a lot of his music to keep it "pop", which, let's be honest here, is typically is targeted towards young women. Saying so doesn't inherently mean that women only like relatively easily digested "dumbed down" music. A leads to B but B doesn't necessarily mean A. Then again, I don't have a vagina.

• Members

i personally love john mayer. im one oh those people that listens to what i want not to whats popular.. if hannah montanna comes out with a good song by god you better believe imma listen to it. but that being said... i don't gravitate to the underground to be obscure. but that vid was really great! i love that part of the song,... my favorite part of that song actually. i wish i had that archtop though

!

• Members

I'm a fan. Not of his singing, not of his guitar playing...

His songs were just around, and were good songs, so I listened

Still do

^^ I'm with stupid.

I wonder when he's gonna do the Lovestoned part of Justin's album, that's quite good also!

• Members

Is the "Sxe" random letters, initials, that sort of thing...or are you one of those folks who gets pissed off at people for doing things that you don't like to do?

Just curious....

• Members

Also, I hate John Mayer. I know he is good, I don't care. I hate him. He lacks what heroes of his like Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan had. Balls. Those guys could rip out some of the most insane, passionate, otherworldly solos ever heard. I don't see any draw to his playing. It shows talent, yeah, but there is a reason why his concerts are filled with girls. At least they were the one time I saw him a concert which he did not impress me whatsoever and he just played a different Custom Shop strat during each song. Its a shame, because every once in a while he will let a cool lick through but it just seems like he dumbs it down for chicks and to make it more "pop friendly"

Mayer is good but he's an ass. I don't like him, he's not really relevant and is just pulling a modern day Pat Boone. Funny thing I heard on the radio the other day, Godsmack doing a "Led Zepplin" song. They actually said it, "G..., doing a L..Zep song!?". When did Zep or put any band "X" in there post credit for a song they ripped? Borrow as you will but pay homage. Mayer, have a fricken soul, show some respect and be humble. Chicks like a**holes, that's the only reason they like him, they don't know sh*t about playin or payin for the blues.

• Members

I think folks seem to forget that Mayer is in the process of growing up. They saw him 5 years ago doing pop for little girls and assume he will never outgrow that, which he already has of course.

Don't like his guitar faces either, but that white boy can PLAY. No doubt about it. Also, he does in fact give respect to those that have come before. That is why the likes of Buddy Guy and Eric Clapton INVITE him to come play with them. How can Eric and Buddy possibly be wrong about the blues???:confused:

• Members

yes...i have gotten hold of Continuum album by this fellow John Mayer

the only thing i can say is tht it is thoroughly inoffensive...

offensively so !! :D

very polished music...high level of musicianship ... but the Pat Boone comparisons/analogy not far off the mark

and i would rather use Donny Osmond as a comparison since for some reason this fellow appears (facially) at least to me to be rather similar

no doubt CrackerD is correct ...when he does grow up ...i expect to hear louder mix of his guitar playing (hopefully he be playing through a Marshall or the like by then :D) and less saccharine

cant throw away Continuum ... good for dinner parties and early Sunday morning mellowness ...but i can now understand why he gets the heat tht he gets ...

• Members

When you throw as much money around for gear (well, he probably gets most of it free but you get the idea) as Mayer does, its pretty hard to have poor taste in gear.

Maybe if Mayer were in a slightly less bluesy, more rock like setting with someone else on vocals I would like him but his blues don't do that much for me and the pop is just pop, though a bit better than listening to Celine Dion.

• Members

I think folks seem to forget that Mayer is in the process of growing up. They saw him 5 years ago doing pop for little girls and assume he will never outgrow that, which he already has of course.

Don't like his guitar faces either, but that white boy can PLAY. No doubt about it. Also, he does in fact give respect to those that have come before. That is why the likes of Buddy Guy and Eric Clapton INVITE him to come play with them. How can Eric and Buddy possibly be wrong about the blues???
:confused:

They invite him to play for publicity reasons. IMO

• Members

I should have been more specific. You are completely correct and I apologize. However, I am hardly dumb and your response was a little overboard. I came from a family tree that has multiple single mothers and both of my grandmothers were college professors and I have nothing but respect for women. Get off the soap box before you fall off and hurt yourself. I said nothing derogatory against female guitarists so I don't know why you flew off the handle on that one. That aside I will rephrase that portion of my comment to how it read in my head.

"He dumbs it down for rich white girls who know nothing about the guitar and switch between listening to him and the likes of Jessica Simpson, American Idol contestants, Ashlee Simpson, and crappy club rap." Better?:thu: That's what I honestly meant. These are the people I know of who listen to John Mayer and I went to High School with these girls.

Let's hug it out.

Archived