How do you rate Agathis as a guitar body material?

sincitycycler

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Anyone that would pass on a guitar...sight unseen...because of the species of wood used, is a fool.

Play it...listen to it...see if it speaks to you.

Unless you are more concerned with OWNING a guitar, than PLAYING a guitar.

I'm a guitar PLAYER, I will own good sounding guitars regardless of species.

I'll try to show what I'm saying...visually.

Mahogany

Warm*++^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^++----*Cool

Basswood

Warm*--++^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^++---*Cool

Alder

Warm*-----++^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^++*Cool

Poplar

Warm*---++^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^++--*Cool

The - means on a tonal spectrum...this sound could be achieved (just not by this wood).

The + means that this is the VERY limits of timbre for this wood.

The ^ means that this is 99% of what the wood will sound like.

So 99% of the time, you will be someplace where you're overlapping the majority of woods out there...and 99.999% of players wouldn't be able to tell the species if they were playing it anyway. You can only tell the difference if you have a SUPERWARM mahogany body and a SUPERBRIGHT alder body...THEN you could say, YES I know there is a different species of wood here.

dig? They don't call me abstract for nuthin.

How do feel about neck wood? I think the size of the neck and type of wood used for the neck have a large impact on the overall tone and volume of a guitar. Sometimes I almost believe it has more of an impact than body wood used......:freak:

• Members

Squier Tele Custom has this. Sounds great, resonates. Heavy.

If Agathis was grown in Southern California, Leo Fender would have made all the Teles with this stuff.

+1

Leo used the CHEAPEST wood to HOLD THE PICKUPS UP. He wasn't searching out the best TONEWOOD.

• Members

How do feel about neck wood? I think the size of the neck and type of wood used for the neck have a large impact on the overall tone and volume of a guitar. Sometimes I almost believe it has more of an impact than body wood used......
:freak:

I'm not sure.

Perhaps that is where people get misled. I KNOW that there is a HUGE difference between (most pieces of) Ebony and (most pieces of) Rosewood.

I'm just not sure...but I have a feeling you're probably right.

You KNOW when you've got a maple neck quack...ebony zing...or rosewood smoothness...but you'd have a hard time telling poplar from ash from alder...

Good point.

• Members
Anyone that would pass on a guitar...sight unseen...because of the species of wood used, is a fool.

No they aren't. Agathis is almost always used on really, really, cheap instruments. And when I say cheap I don't mean inexpensive. I mean shoddy! A person would be much better off taking the money that would be spent on a shoddy guitar and buying a good used strat etc. A guitar that has shoddy tuners, a shoddy bridge, a shoddy pickup, cheap wood, a plastic nut, poor workmanship, etc. will hold your progress back. You'll think you're bad guitar player. But in fact it's the instrument's fault. It may have poor sustain, bad tone, terrible action, poor intonation, and on and on.

• Members

No they aren't. Agathis is almost always used on really, really, cheap instruments. And when I say cheap I don't mean inexpensive. I mean shoddy! A person would be much better off taking the money that would be spent on a shoddy guitar and buying a good used strat etc. A guitar that has shoddy tuners, a shoddy bridge, a shoddy pickup, cheap wood, a plastic nut, poor workmanship, etc. will hold your progress back. You'll think you're bad guitar player. But in fact it's the instrument's fault. It may have poor sustain, bad tone, terrible action, poor intonation, and on and on.

Mahogany (south american) is also used to make pallets:freak:

• Members

hmmm...and if the guitar WAS SIGHT UNSEEN how would you know that the workmanship was shoddy?

• Members

And if a solid mahogany + Quilted maple with a Brazilian board...Gibson/PRS...sounded like ass...and was falling apart...would YOU buy it? Just because it was "mahogany, quilt, and Braz"???

I wouldn't.

I'd rather have a QUALITY built, nice sounding PLYWOOD Squier guitar. But...

I ACTUALLY PLAY GUITAR...so I care more about SOUND THAN MATERIALS USED.

• Members

I like its Tone, But the Wood itself is nothing to LOOK AT. Its color runs from White to Grey to Green with Straight, pretty tight grain patterns. So its NOT a good wood to use with Transparent Finish's.

But I have built a couple guitars out of it 'Telecaster's" and the Tone that they produced was decent. Only similarity it has to Mahogany is its Warmth of the High Strings. Its mid-range is nothing like Mahogany and would be closer to Alder. The Bass Strings though remain pretty focused like an Ash. So Tonally I kind of like it.

As far as Basswood? Agathis is NOT soft like Basswood which is a good thing. I like the Tone of Basswood I just don't like its softness and its grain is nothing to write home about either.

But I think Agathis has a decent Tone. Regardless of what its used on. Its being inexpensive and plentifull is an asset to us.

Squier was the FIRST company I sen use Agathis. They still use it. Thouh on their more expensive electrics I see they are now using Alder. And charging $300. where Agathis would be $150-$200? Lot of our thinking is just conditioning, learned behavior. We're so use to Mahogany, Alder, Maple, adn othe popular woods that when a company building cost effective instruments use's Agathis? We automatically think that inexpensive equates to no-good?

That I didn't find to be true with the wood. But I favor warmer woods and own a KOA Hamer, Mahogany LP amoung other's, So the woods Tonal quality caught my attention immediatly.

• Members

They use agathis on plenty of low-mid priced guitars these days that are far from shoddy in workmanship and or build...CNC machines and other modern tech' has really closed the gap workmanship wise(imo).

Agathis is also known as "commercial grade mahogany". Companies just drop the "commercial grade" part in the specs'.

You think they are shipping all kinds of African and or Honduran mahogany over to Korea to make all the MIK guitars? It's mostly "mahogany"....agathis, "philippine mahogany", etc.

Archived