How does this idea sound?

trill

• Members

I've been arguing with myself for the past couple weeks about buying a Carvin DC135. Bottom line is, I'm not currently in a band or recording, so I can't really justify investing $1200 in a guitar, even if I unload most of my current gear. I had resigned myself to getting a PRS SE Paul Allender, even though it's butt ugly. Then I saw this the other day:

prscopy.jpg

prscopy2.jpg

So here's the plan of action: buy guitar, rewire and replace pickups with BG Lizard in neck, BG Bucker Dark in bridge. Add a fret level and a setup, and I've got a ~$600 PRS CE24. Well, the scale length is 24.75", but that'll do for now.

The only snag is I don't know of any reputable techs in my area. I tried contacting atrox, but he's been either busy or ignoring me. Mindriot, are you up for some soldering practice? Anyone else wanna do it?

• Members

So here's the plan of action: buy guitar, rewire and replace pickups with BG Lizard in neck, BG Bucker Dark in bridge. Add a fret level and a setup, and I've got a ~$600 PRS CE24.

No. You'd have a $600 Agile. It may play and sound good, I don't know, but you'd be throwing your upgrade money away when it came time to resell it. Don't know if that's a concern for you or not.

There's a lot on the used market for $600 that would hold its value and probably give you a better guitar. Much as I don't like Carvin, I think you'd be better off with a used Carvin than a new upgraded Agile.

• Members

No. You'd have a $600 Agile. It may play and sound good, I don't know, but you'd be throwing your upgrade money away when it came time to resell it. Don't know if that's a concern for you or not.

Resale value isn't too much of a concern for me. I don't see myself buying a PRS/Carvin for a long time (5-8 years). For $600, I can get a highly playable guitar that sounds very good, and still have enough left over to afford a new amp in a couple months.

I've looked at some used Carvins, and though I agree that they're an excellent value, I haven't yet found one that has everything I want (mostly jumbo frets, a 14" radius, and a Wilkinson), and most of the ones on ebay end up selling for closer to $750. And I don't know if I'll like the pickups, either. I've got one Agile that's pretty solid, and it's totally stock. I think with a setup and some quality pickups, I'll have a very nice guitar.

• Members

I would concur there. Investing more than $200 into an Agile isn't my idea of a wise move. Sorry Agile fans, but as much as y'all want em to be the best thing since sliced bread, MIK or MIC just ain't a MIA or MIJ..

If you really want a good PRS-ish guitar in the sub $500 range, look at an Ibanez SZ. I have the SZ520, which is MIK, and it's a very nice guitar. It's not a Carvin, and it's not a PRS, but it's a good solid guitar for not a TON of money.

• Members
If you really want a good PRS-ish guitar in the sub $500 range, look at an Ibanez SZ. I have the SZ520, which is MIK, and it's a very nice guitar. It's not a Carvin, and it's not a PRS, but it's a good solid guitar for not a TON of money.

Medium frets :(
Rosewood board :(
No trem :cry:

I know I would take a big hit on the resale, but I'm hoping this will be my #1 guitar for at least a few years. If not, I can always return it to stock and keep the pickups. I was looking really hard at that PRS SE, but 1. no one seems to have them in stock, 2. the Agile is actually closer to what I'm looking for, in terms of specs, and 3. if Mr. Allender's taste in pickups is anything like his taste in guitar aesthetics, they sound like dirty goth ass.

• Members

Resale value isn't too much of a concern for me. I don't see myself buying a PRS/Carvin for a long time (5-8 years). For $600, I can get a highly playable guitar that sounds very good, and still have enough left over to afford a new amp in a couple months.

I've looked at some used Carvins, and though I agree that they're an excellent value, I haven't yet found one that has everything I want (mostly jumbo frets, a 14" radius, and a Wilkinson), and most of the ones on ebay end up selling for closer to $750. And I don't know if I'll like the pickups, either. I've got one Agile that's pretty solid, and it's totally stock. I think with a setup and some quality pickups, I'll have a very nice guitar.

So why are you asking if your mind is already made up?

Agile looks beautiful though! You can always send it back if it just doesn't feel right. Haven't played one so I can't say how good it would be with any certainty but, after a fret level, setup and great pickups, I'd think you'd have a monster guitar.

Doesn't have to be a Carvin or a PRS to be a great guitar.

On the flip side. I don't think you're not worth a $1200 guitar. Doesn't matter that you're not playing out. You should love what you're playing!

• Members

1. Like most of the other posts made on this forum, this one was motivated by 80% boredom, 20% need.

2. My main purpose was to draw the attention of someone who could do the mods to the guitar. If anyone had a line on a used Carvin/PRS/similarly equipped guitar that met my needs, I would've appreciated that, too. And I'm always open to the possibility that one of you sage gearheads knows something I don't. That doesn't seem to be the case regarding this issue, but I am grateful for the input and effort, as always.

• Members

Agile looks beautiful though! You can always send it back if it just doesn't feel right. Haven't played one so I can't say how good it would be with any certainty but, after a fret level, setup and great pickups, I'd think you'd have a monster guitar.

Doesn't have to be a Carvin or a PRS to be a great guitar.

On the flip side. I don't think you're not worth a $1200 guitar. Doesn't matter that you're not playing out. You should love what you're playing!

Yeah, it's not as much about my not being worth it as it is my bankroll not being big enough. I'd rather take the extra $500 and go on vacation with my soon-to-be wife, I think.

WOT: I've always appreciated your input on the boards, Frets, and you seem like a really nice guy, but some of that new stuff in your sig is rather impolite. I don't mind folks putting pro-Christian stuff in their profiles, but I know if I mocked religion in my sig the way you're mocking humanism in yours, I'd probably be banned within the hour.

• Members

I don't ignore anyone. I check PM's on the fly and sometimes need more than a day to get back to someone, but I'll never ignore ya. ;) you also said no rush so...

Oh.. i have been known to clear my PM box before getting back to people too. It fills up pretty quick... I suck like that :(

• Members
I don't ignore anyone. I check PM's on the fly and sometimes need more than a day to get back to someone, but I'll never ignore ya.
;)
you also said no rush so...

Oh.. i have been known to clear my PM box before getting back to people too. It fills up pretty quick... I suck like that
:(

It's cool, dude. I had IM'ed you earlier, because Ben said you don't always respond to PM's, and when you didn't respond to that, I thought maybe you had too much going on to take on new projects. Just hit me with a quote on all that, when you get a chance.

Yeah, it's not as much about my not being worth it as it is my bankroll not being big enough. I'd rather take the extra $500 and go on vacation with my soon-to-be wife, I think.

WOT: I've always appreciated your input on the boards, Frets, and you seem like a really nice guy, but some of that new stuff in your sig is rather impolite. I don't mind folks putting pro-Christian stuff in their profiles, but I know if I mocked religion in my sig the way you're mocking humanism in yours, I'd probably be banned within the hour.

Taking your soon to be wife on a vacation sounds like a great idea. I'm sure the Agile would come out great!!

You haven't been to the Political Forum much. While I agree enough with you, it's like war in there. Tons of folks have sayings in their sigs mocking Christians. I was sort of fighting back. But the polite way you mentioned it to me has given me pause and I don't need to sink to that level.

Thanks for pointing it out!

Edit: I think the Henny Youngman one is funny.... gonna keep that one.

• Members

I agree. One of the best purchases I ever made was back in '93 when I dumped my Hohner and bought a my ~$700 Ibanez RG. I still have the guitar and love it, and I shudder to think if I had used the logic of "not being good enough" back then.

Archived