Telling apart a Fender USA/Mexico/Japan

jvhc

• Members

Looks to me to be a parts-caster. Probably an Allparts neck. I can't tell from the picture if the decals are right for that year. Who knows about the body and other parts unless you took it apart. It almost looks like the body is thinner than standard, suggesting a Bullet body. Also the bridge/trem looks narrower than MIA, suggesting asain or MIM, but you really can't tell from the picture. It's interesting that he doesn't have a picture of the back. If it has pat.pend. saddles on it... replicas of those go for $50 on ebay, so it would seem to be a pretty serious attempt at covering all the bases to build a fake '62.

From the blurry pictures it does look pretty convencing.

• Members

check out the seller's feedback. It looks like they already sold the guitar once. I'd be pretty wary of this one...

"I have changed the plate holding the neck to the body, the old one was really dirty and rusty, there was a number on the back of that which reads 76617. I put a new one on there, I sold the old plate a while back. "

...yea right.

• Members
The position of the top middle fixing screw on the pickguard should be mid way between neck and middle pickup on a '62. Other models have it closer to the middle pickup.

5de3_12.jpg

True. I think the original question was not whether or not it is a fake. It admittedly is... The quesiton is what was the guitar used to make the fake? MIM? Asian, or MIA, like the ad says. I say you really can't tell from the pictures.

Archived