Epiphone transformation

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

my first guitar was a Gibson SG - and I've played the Epi G400 - I don't agree with you.

epi:

_c25418_image_0.jpg

gibson:

Gibson-SG-Special-Faded-Worn-Cherry_1.jp

basically, the epi is a "straight" 45 degree bevel wereas the gibson is variable, getting alot wider in the waist making the effective "side" very thin.

the epi is assumably done the way it is because its easy to do with a router and template vs more complicated CNC or hand shaping.

• Members

I'll either leave the ebony full thickness or use Gretsch's approach or a gap under the last few frets....you ever see a Duo Jet or Powerjet?

have now :p

with the height and angle, youre only going to have like 2mm wedge to fill in. probably easily done with a scrap veneer from the body top. just to keep the fretboard line "straight" and get some support under the board. though fender has been doing overhangs forever so i dont think it would be an issue structurally if you left a gap.

should be fun anyway :)

• Members

Wow . . . that seems like a lot of work for an epiphone. Why is it you couldn't build one? That seems like way less work.

that particular epiphone - the vintage g400 - is unique, and worth the effort i think.

the neck is one piece, the body 2, theres no veneer, and its "real" mahogany.

in short, its nice :)

• Members

that particular epiphone - the vintage g400 - is unique, and worth the effort i think.

the neck is one piece, the body 2, theres no veneer, and its "real" mahogany.

in short, its nice
:)

Umm....my Vintage G-400 quite clearly has a veneered front and back on it.

I'm not a big fan of the ribbon mahogany; wish they would have just left it au natural instead of putting the veneer on so veneering the top can't hurt...but I love everything else about the guitar. Like it better than the SG Faded's I've tried. :rawk:

• Members

Umm....my Vintage G-400 quite clearly has a veneered front and back on it.

I'm not a big fan of the ribbon mahogany; wish they would have just left it au natural instead of putting the veneer on so veneering the top can't hurt...but I love everything else about the guitar. Like it better than the SG Faded's I've tried.
:rawk:

do you have a "vintage" or a "faded" g400? they are very different guitars. the "faded" is veneered top and back, and has a 3 piece neck.

• Members

my first guitar was a Gibson SG - and I've played the Epi G400 - I don't agree with you.

They're definitely different. I have an Epi G-400, and that's one thing I really don't like about it. The bevel on the Gibson SG is much nicer to me.

• Members

vintage or faded?
:confused:

Don't get the difference

g400 vintage: body has no veneer on the top or back, the figure runs through. the neck is 1 piece, no scarf or heel block. the fretboard is bound.

aa9743b718c8394a496d2dff1685bcda.jpg

the faded, which i cant find a good picture of right now, has veneer on the top, possibly the back as well, a 3 piece neck, and no fretboard binding. its basically the same as the standard g400, just matte.

F5b.jpg

the "vintage" was a special model, much more in line with epi elitest specs than the regular g400's. they discontinued it mid last year, but many stores still have old stock.

• Members

do you have a "vintage" or a "faded" g400? they are very different guitars. the "faded" is veneered top and back, and has a 3 piece neck.

2007 Faded G-400. But it has a one piece neck. :idk:

From what i recall, the older Faded's had bound necks; the 2007 did not.

• Members

2007 Faded G-400. But it has a one piece neck.
:idk:

From what i recall, the older Faded's had bound necks; the 2007 did not.

bah, too confusing :)

i know that my store had the "vintage" in mid 2007. it was like in the first pic. i went back a few weeks later and it was gone, replaced with the "faded", like in the second pic with the multi piece neck and veneer. the "faded" was also $90 cheaper then the "vintage".

my understanding was they were 2 separate models. maybe its more complicated than that. maybe the models in canada are different as well. this is a problem cause im trying to find that specific guitar, and none of my local dealers have them in stock and i dont know i'd get the correct one ordering online.

bah :)

Archived