Anyone try one of these mics?

nuke_diver

• Members

The Nady USB-24M makes it easier for you to record your music, podcast, or any audio source to your preferred recording software. Just plug the USB mic cable into your computer's USB port and launch your software. The microphone features a dynamic neodymium element and a 24-bit/96kHz digital audio conversion rate to capture sounds with extreme precision and offers plug-and-play operation with most recording applications.

I would like a mic so I can record a bit more. Currently I can record through the Guitarport but to use a mic I'll need some kind of preamp for my computer since the soundcard doesn't have enough juice. This would strictly be for my own use (no posting on soundclick or anything like that). I want a standalone mic so I can record my acoustic guitars as well as my electric. This seems like an economical option. If I get a regular mic I need to get cables, a preamp or mixer and the mic so it will be probably ~$100 more than this.

Thoughts?

• Members

I've rarely had success recording EG with my neodymium dynamics. Too bright. It can be done but I have to jump thru a lot of audio hoops.

IMO - Buy right, buy once. Get an SM 58 (call it $90), why be a rebel? Spread the cost over how long you will use the mic and it's not really that much more. I bought a used Mackie 1202 VLZ (4 pres and 6 outs) for $150 and a used Spirit Folio (2 pres and 3 outs and 2 phono pres) for $75. A small mixer also doubles as a headphone amp and has EQ, inserts, FX sends etc. If you can't go the distance, MF is clearing out ART Tube MPs for $30 (with VU). A condensor would sound best on AG but lousy on EG (in my experience). A '58 will sound great on EG and pretty good on AG.

Oh yeah, you'll need an amp to mic also but you want one of those anyway.

• Members

i record directly Guitar ->> 1/4" - 1/8" adapter --> audacity

OR

Guitar --> mic'd AMP with SM57 --> 1/4" - 1/8" adapter --> audacity

both work fine for me, 1st option, $3.00. second option $103.00

i also have the setup book_of_lies showed... that also works just more to hook up and mess with...

btw, i have a Behringer EURORACK UB502 5-Channel Compact Mixer with A/C adapter and owners manual for sale... don't know where you are but it's for sale. $20 plus shipping... if you're interested send me a PM...

EDIT: here's another mic/stand option if this is just for fun at home...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nady-SP1-Microphone-and-Stand-Package?sku=277031

• Members

Thanks book of lies777 and Roy!

That's the decision I'm trying to make...go cheap cause it's good enough or do it right (looks like SM57's can be had for ~65 used, 99 new, not sure about SM58s).

that mini mixer looks like it might be the ticket to.

Thanks again

• Members

I'm going to need some kind of preamp since my soundcard doesnt have one for the mic.

If I want to record I can with the guitarport but I cannot record acoustically that way and I like the sound of my Vox better than the guitarport.

I'm still looking at my opinions since I can record some stuff if I want, but I'm looking to expand what I can record.

• Members

For instrument recording, the SM57 is recommended. The SM58 is better for vocals as it has a built in baffle and a slightly less directional pickup pattern.

As previously mentioned, beware of fakes, get it from a reputable dealer (or authorised dealer / Ebay power seller). These two mics are probably the two most counterfeited mics in existence.

• Members

don't forget the Shure PG57 - I just picked up one new last week for $59.99. It comes with a cable, stand clip, and zippered case, and with the small Behringer mixer, you'd be all set for about $80-90 or so.

Is the PG57 the lower 57 model ?

i have two sm57's but wouldn't mind a couple of those for recording my band...

$59.99, not bad, how does it compare to the SM ???

• Members

Is the PG57 the lower 57 model ?

i have two sm57's but wouldn't mind a couple of those for recording my band...

$59.99, not bad, how does it compare to the SM ???

Yes, that's the one. I've never had the SM, so I couldn't speak with any personal experience on how they compare. The PG works just fine for me.

Archived