Can Some one help me?

Mikex21

• Members

I have a strat that wont stay tuned.

the inotation it set and has locking tuners but it still wont stay tuned when i use the tremolo.

Any sugestions??/ No flyod rose

Are the strings old? Sorry, had to ask.

• Members

i like the look of the strat tremolo not a flyod

Add another spring, which will make it a bit harder to use the trem but you'll gain tuning stability.

Invest in some Big Bends Nut Sauce. Put a couple drops on the nut where each string sits, as well as where the strings contact the saddle. Should help some.

Make sure your truss rod isn't too tight or too loose.

• Members

You might try having the nut cut a little wider for the problem strings, Lubricant at the nut slots and bridge saddles. There are roller nuts and roller saddles available that will fix any sticky problems.

Floyds and Kahlers work well with their nut-locks.

You must find your own solution or give up on the idea of using the trem.

Maybe you'll learn to love the look of a Floyd or Kahler. Or not mind the look.

Maybe a couple of years in jail to help you reflect,...(just kidding)

Trem systems can be a pita.

Here's a pair w/Kahlers.

CIMG0110.jpg

A pair with Original FR's

CIMG0111.jpg

Bigsby's look great but don't do much. Kahlers are killerz.

CIMG0001.jpg

• Members

Fender Strat trems aren't designed to stay in tune with any sort of heavy handed usage. The reason guitar players like Jeff Beck, Eddie Van Halen and Jimi Hendrix managed to stay in tune is more because of the techniques they used than enhancements like locking tuners.

A few questions:

How many springs are installed?

Is the bridge floating?

Do you do alot of divebombing?

How good is the nut on your guitar?

These are all factors that will contribute to whether or not your guitars stay in tune.

• Members

Fender Strat trems aren't designed to stay in tune with any sort of heavy handed usage. The reason guitar players like Jeff Beck, Eddie Van Halen and Jimi Hendrix managed to stay in tune is more because of the techniques they used than enhancements like locking tuners.

A few questions:

How many springs are installed?

Is the bridge floating?

Do you do alot of divebombing?

How good is the nut on your guitar?

These are all factors that will contribute to whether or not your guitars stay in tune.

3 springs

not floating

yes

te nut pretty alright

• Members

3 springs

not floating

yes

te nut pretty alright

Well, if you are confident that the nut is fine, try buying some of that lube stuff for it. Also, divebombing will definitely knock most strat-style trems out of tune.

I've read interviews with Van Halen, where he talks about how he kept his strat trem in tune. Believe it or not, he didn't use a Floyd on alot of those old recordings (he felt that they thinned his tone out). I think he mentioned something about the G string always going out of tune, so he would bend it a certain way (how, I'm not sure), and when he divebombed, it stayed in relatively good tune. You may want to research this technique though, because I'm not sure exactly how he did it.

Good luck.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

That's the reason I gave up on ALL strats without Floyds on them.

They absolutely will not stay in tune with any amount of trem use at all PERIOD!

I don't care what the Floyd haters will say, it's all bull{censored}, there's not a strat on this planet that will stay in tune with trem use/abuse. I found this out the hard way after 30 years of fighting with my strats.

I even went out and bought a new 1200.00 American Deluxe Fat Strat with the new "LSR Roller Nut", no String trees or string guides on the headstock, Fenders new "Locking Tremelo Bridge" which is called the Fender Floyd Rose by some idiots.... EVEAN THAT STRAT WILL NOT STAY IN TUNE and is frustrating as hell to play so it's going on e-bay.

Solution?? Floyded Superstrats or Floyd Rose Fender Strats from now on until the day they bury me with them!!!!!!

Even if you don't use the trem at all, there's nothing like playing an entire gig and having your guitar hold perfect tune the entire time.

FTW: The Original Floyd Rose is the greatest invention since the Electric Gitfiddle and Marshall Amplification.

Floyd haters kiss my ass!

• Members

That's the reason I gave up on ALL strats without Floyds on them.

They absolutely will not stay in tune with any amount of trem use at all PERIOD!

You've had a different experience then me. My Hwy 1 Strat and MiM Strat seem to stay in tune with light to moderate tremolo use.

Even if you don't use the trem at all, there's nothing like playing an entire gig and having your guitar hold perfect tune the entire time.

My axes seem pretty solid. I just played a gig last night, 4 hours, tuned after taking the guitars out of the cases (trailered for 2 hours in 0 degree wx), then again before playing. Tuned after the first set and they were fine after that for the rest of the evening.

Floyd haters kiss my ass!

For the record, I like floyds too... but I don't use the tremolo enough to warrant one on either of my strats.

Archived