11's on my LP?

spruce goose

• Members

Been playin' 10's for as long as I can remember. OTOH, I've only played a strat for pretty much the same period of time. Until now. And by "now", I mean a couple of months ago.

Anyways.... I just put 13's on my acoustic (going up from 12's), and I kinda like the thicker strings. :confused: . So I had a flashback to my les paul being a bit too "easy" to play (not to mention somewhat buzzing) with the 10's........ :idea:

So what do you guys put on your LPs, and why? Do 11's sound better? Is there less buzzing? Will I need to adjust the truss rod? Also, what strings should I get?

• Members

How screwed in is your stop-bar? You can stiffen up your playablity by screwing it closer to the guitars body. Some guys bring it as low as they can without having the strings resting on the tun-o-matic before they get to the saddles, then they string it up over the bar (top stringing) for less tension or the "normal" way for more.

• Members

How screwed in is your stop-bar? You can stiffen up your playablity by screwing it closer to the guitars body. Some guys bring it as low as they can without having the strings resting on the tun-o-matic before they get to the saddles, then they string it up over the bar (top stringing) for less tension or the "normal" way for more.

It's pretty screwed. If a stop-bar is that metal thingy where the strings sit, that is. :confused:

• Members

It's pretty screwed. If a stop-bar is that metal thingy where the strings sit, that is.
:confused:

I believe you are talking about the tune-O-Matic. The part where the strings height is adjusted. What I am talking about is the Stop-Bar. That is the pc of hardware that has holes in it that you put the strings through.

This is a pic of the stop-bar tail piece.

• Members

Putting 11s on your LP is great idea. The shorter scale of the LP make heavier gauge strings less noticeable. I did it to mine and think it's the single best improvement I made to it's sound. No truss rod adjustment, of bridge height was necessary ( I play medium/low) - just an intonation.

• Members

Putting 11s on your LP is great idea. The shorter scale of the LP make heavier gauge strings less noticeable. I did it to mine and think it's the single best improvement I made to it's sound. No truss rod adjustment, of bridge height was necessary ( I play medium/low) - just an intonation.

These days pretty much all the "modern" spec' Gibson fingerboards can handle 11's real easy. Truth be told, I have been contemplating them for my Explorer recently.

• Members

I believe you are talking about the tune-O-Matic. The part where the strings height is adjusted. What I am talking about is the Stop-Bar. That is the pc of hardware that has holes in it that you put the strings through.

This is a pic of the stop-bar tail piece.

Yeah, that's maxed down.

• Members

Been playin' 10's for as long as I can remember. OTOH, I've only played a strat for pretty much the same period of time. Until now. And by "now", I mean a couple of months ago.

Anyways.... I just put 13's on my acoustic (going up from 12's), and I kinda like the thicker strings.
:confused:
. So I had a flashback to my les paul being a bit too "easy" to play (not to mention somewhat buzzing) with the 10's........
:idea:

So what do you guys put on your LPs, and why? Do 11's sound better? Is there less buzzing? Will I need to adjust the truss rod? Also, what strings should I get?

Ernie Ball Power Slinkys. Purple package... .011 to .048. Love 'em on an LP... even Agile LP's like 'em!!:thu:

• Members

So, Snambo, what strings do you use?

Right now I'm using my first set of Dean Markley, Blue Steel mediums (11 - 52). I read a lot of good reviews of them but I'm a little underwhelmed. They seem a bit duller than what I was using before which was GHS Boomers (11 - 53). I like bright "big" sounding (for lack of a better description) strings.

• Members

It's done. Sounds decent. Feels OK. Buzzes less (I think). Harder to bend
:eek:
(still pretty easy for 2 halves, tho). Sounds more like a Gibson (it's an epi).

Conclusion: 11 > 10. Umm,
:freak:

Bending shouldn't get harder until really you move into .012 gauge territory. The difference in tension really isn't too drastic and chances are, most players could probably bend them a whole step, but make sure you buy sets with a plain g, not a wound one. It makes a helluva difference.

I'm switching next time to a set with a plain G (I currently use .012s on my LP in standard and .013 on my other for open E slide work).

• Members

Bending shouldn't get harder until really you move into .012 gauge territory. The difference in tension really isn't too drastic and chances are, most players could probably bend them a whole step, but make sure you buy sets with a plain g, not a wound one. It makes a helluva difference.

I'm switching next time to a set with a plain G (I currently use .012s on my LP in standard and .013 on my other for open E slide work).

Yeah, 10's were too easy :cool:. Guess that's what happens when you are used to bending with a vintage-fret-strat. My start now has 6100s, though, so I can pretty much bend that one like teh Beckham too.

Archived