Question about strat wiring.

Jkater

• Members

How are the tone controls supposed to work? I read somewhere that the bridge pup should be out of the tone circuit (no tone control to it). That should have quite a significance for the tweaking of the "in between" fourth position. Thanks!

• Members

I believe that's the "standard" Fender strat wiring. I'm still trying to figure this out as well, because I've got a set of new pups that *I* want to put in, but I'm digging the way it's wired right now because tone works in all positions.

Anyone got a link to a lot of different wiring diagrams for strat? I've googled, but came up with pretty much the same things.

Edit: Oh, yeah. How come we don't have a tech forum?

• Members

There are dozens of ways to wire a strat. Vintage versions didn't have the bridge pickup attached to a tone pot, but you can easily add a short wire so that it shares the tone pot with the middle pickup. I think that the current American strats are wired that way along with a special pot that takes the pickup out of the tone circuit when it is turned up all the way.

• Members

Mu Custom Shop Jeff Beck Strat is wired so that the bridge PU shares a tone control with the middle unit, whereas the Eric Johnson model leaves the middle PU wide open and the bridge PU controlled by the knob that conventionally works the middle one. There's apparently also some alternate wiring in the Jimmie Vaughan sig, but I'm not personally familiar with that guitar.

The Deluxe Player Strat has an extra button which activates one of the PUs (either neck or bridge, can't remember), adding the otherwise unavailable options of neck-and-bridge together (for a very cool, funky sound generally only possible on Teles) or all three together.

EDIT: I like the idea of this latter mod and have occasionally considered having it done ... tho' I'd prefer to keep the stock look and use a push-pull (or push-push) pot on one of the existing knobs instead.

Archived