my 1963 les paul custom sg

leftyjay

• Members

I have a Les Paul-SG 1961, which I purchased in the mid-70s. Some few years ago I found that they had become very pricy, so I used my other guitars and put the old one in its case. However: after a year or something I thought the old guitar didn

• Members

i have 18 gigging guitars. a bunch of those are $2-3k. those are my playing guitars.

this guitar is a piece of history and playing it will only degrade it. maybe back in the 1980s, when the guitar was 20 years old, i could see playing it.

but this guitar is highly collectible. keeping it in this prestine condition is only possible if you dont play it.

JMHO and thats all that counts

It is a musical instrument. Music should be played on it.

• Members

How many of you chiming in that it should be played have instruments of similar value or stature that you play every day?

Ive got an original 1959 LP jr thats becomming worth some big bucks, and yes I do play her, but she lives most of her life in a case.
I think the only future propper playing she may see is possibly in a studio, if I feel brave enough to take her outside that is

• Members

thats right No Soul...

this guitar is definately not a refinish. it is completely original and has the very first set of strings the owner put on it. the original owner didnt like the original set of strings (round wounds), so he bought 1 set of flat wounds. they are still on it today.

i seen these guitars for sale at around 25-27k and one at 41k that wasnt as clean as this. most are pretty banged up and had repairs or refrets, or over spraying done. they definately are showing their age. buyers dont seem to care the shape of the guitar. just that they got one of these rare guitars.

i read that these guitars have been increasing in value at around 20-25% a year since 2000-2001. back in 2000, these were in the 7k price range in EC. but sellers description of "excellent condition" varies quite a bit.

in 1963, there was only 264 of these guitars shipped out from Gibson. that number also includes the SG Customs that was shipped out that year also.

they shipped just over 500 of these in 1961......and 293 in 1962.

Les Paul wanted Gibson to discontinue using his name on these. It took Gibson nearly 3 years to use up all the surplus stock before changing the name to SG Custom.

its not left-handed either, so i know i wont be playing it anytime soon.

maybe the next owner will play it when he/she buys it from me.

i tend to think not. its just in too good a condition to play it without possibly damaging it or degrading it.

believe me, if it was scarred up and modded or repaired in anyway, then i wouldnt mind playing it since it was already relic'd. this one is definately not relic'd.

• Members

I'm fast becoming a collector. down here in florida, there are a lot of senior citizens that have older instruments. i am in the music click around here and get a lot of offers to buy instruments. i passes on a 1951 esquire in 8.5 shape a few years back. kicking myself not for taking that one.

i just had gruhn appraise it this week..

according to them, $35,000 is the current market value. I know they appraise slightly high, but I also know this guitar is the cleanest one I've ever seen.

i've heard they have averaged about 25-30% increase per year since 2001

• Members

I have wanted a white SG for so long it makes my head hurt to see those pics.......

Congrats!

8^)

ps. Hey, it's your guitar....do what you want with it.....but I'd play the kick{censored} outa that thang.....you only live once and you can't take it with you!

• Members

i've got lots of kick{censored} guitars that i do play the {censored} out of. ;)

this LPC however will be stored away till i make up my mind to move it on to another owner. its better than any mutual fund or cd i can invest in.:thu:

• Members

Hey LJ, what's your opinion of the sideways vibrola? I've owned several SG's with the regular Maestro but never the earlier style like that. I think the sideways mechanism is "cooler" but have heard they're a bit more temperamental. What's been your experience with this one?

• Members

one thing you cant do with this vibrola is...raise the pitch. you can bend down, but its a pain to raise the pitch. you have to pull away from the strings and that would require you to use your thumb to grab the arm and move it down.

as for the material its made off, mine is gold plated and it does tarnish (even the chrome ones do). its got to be made of a material that bubbles or rusts. than again, it could be just the plating substance.

Archived