Japanese Made LP Copies

sheepeH

• Members

love the Burny...got it 3 weeks ago and the neck is real nice. Paid $230.oo for it. Has second generation VH-1 p`ups and if this matters, doesn`t have a long tenon which I read is normal for these Burnys...the tenon stops at the end of the neck. If you go Edwards go used.

• Members

I think it depends on the burny. They like any other brand, they made (and still make?) low to high end. You can read a bit about most of them here.

http://www.japanguitars.co.uk/Page%201%20history.html

This guy seems to know his stuff pretty well.

Zenbu...tell me about your Aria. I've been close on a couple but hesitated at the last minute cause the info on them is confusing. I know alot of them have a hollow arched top. Is your lepoard solid top? How many pieces? And how about the back? I've seen a few pictures of the inside of the PU cavity on some (not sure if they were lepoards though) and they seem to have long tenons but have a strange screw running through them from tenon to body. Poly or Nitro etc... How would you rank them say to an orville by gibson (what I have) and the like? I've seen some that were absolutly gorgeous. I did end up getting a Pro 2 alder strat made in 79 and it was super cheap, and sounds great. I guess I'm trying to figure out if the arias are the last hidden jems of japanese guitars or if their low prices are a true reflection of how they rank to the bigger names.

• Members

If it's an older MIJ burny, test it out and buy it. $300 is a great deal. Prices on Burnys are starting to rise a bit, but they've stayed low most likely because of the lack of a long tenon neck. I'm not a fan of Edwards. The Edwards I've owned were much airier, lighter and snappier than what I expect a Les Paul to sound like. No low end and they sound kind of muted.

• Members

How's the burny? someone offered it to me for 300$, only in black. worth it?

If it's a MIJ that's a great deal...the thing is current Burnys are made in Korea...if you really want good advice head over to www.tokaiforum.com and ask them about it...some pics of the guitar would be helpful...they can tell you if it's a MIJ or MIK.

• Members

Long tennon necks extend into the body further (usually into the neck pup cavity. Supposed to give more sustain. Only used on the Gibson Custom reissues for some reason, but used on most mid to high end MIJ LPs

• Members

Its a MIJ one..

S/N: FG03030xxx, maybe 2003 made.

thats what the seller sent me

There's a used lefty Edwards black Les Paul Custom on Ebay...it's in England but they ship to the states.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ESP-Edwards-Lefty-Lespaul-Custom-ELP92CD-Like-new_W0QQitemZ290213420801QQihZ019QQcategoryZ33038QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m122

One thing I like about the Edward's Les Paul Customs...they're about the only MIJ maker who uses ebony on their fretboards like Gibson does.

• Members

The best guitar I ever owned is my Ibanez LP. I bought back in '77. I still looks very nice and plays well. It has been modded and some fret work done to it. The wiring is all shielded cable and the neck has stayed perfect. The action is also excellent. It's case has the metal all around the edges and except for the handle, has held up well.

• Members

love the Burny...got it 3 weeks ago and the neck is real nice. Paid $230.oo for it. Has second generation VH-1 p`ups and if this matters, doesn`t have a long tenon which I read is normal for these Burnys...the tenon stops at the end of the neck. If you go Edwards go used.

Hey zenbu,sorry to get off the topic,but it sounds like you know alot about the japanese copy guitars.I have a 79 greco v that I'm trying to get rid of.Do you know of any collector web sites or e-mail addresses I could use?Or any dealers in Japan who sell parts for these guitar?Any input would be great.

• Members

I think it depends on the burny. They like any other brand, they made (and still make?) low to high end. You can read a bit about most of them here.

This guy seems to know his stuff pretty well.

Zenbu...tell me about your Aria. I've been close on a couple but hesitated at the last minute cause the info on them is confusing. I know alot of them have a hollow arched top. Is your lepoard solid top? How many pieces? And how about the back? I've seen a few pictures of the inside of the PU cavity on some (not sure if they were lepoards though) and they seem to have long tenons but have a strange screw running through them from tenon to body. Poly or Nitro etc... How would you rank them say to an orville by gibson (what I have) and the like? I've seen some that were absolutly gorgeous. I did end up getting a Pro 2 alder strat made in 79 and it was super cheap, and sounds great. I guess I'm trying to figure out if the arias are the last hidden jems of japanese guitars or if their low prices are a true reflection of how they rank to the bigger names.

everything you ever wanted to know about Aria but were afraid to ask can be found here.

http://www.matsumoku.org/ggboard/index.php

• Members

Hey zenbu,sorry to get off the topic,but it sounds like you know alot about the japanese copy guitars.I have a 79 greco v that I'm trying to get rid of.Do you know of any collector web sites or e-mail addresses I could use?Or any dealers in Japan who sell parts for these guitar?Any input would be great.

sorry, I don`t. those are not rare over here so buyers in japan would more than likely buy from a domestic seller for several reasons...one being, not having to deal with somebody who doesn`t speak the language...and that applies to people selling parts in Japan. I only own one V, an older Tokai so I know very little about the Greco models...don`t know much about the Tokai either other than I will try to sell it here soon...just not really my kind of guitar...I bought it because it was at a good price.

Archived