Presenting the "2006 Curious Things Said in Lessons" post

chipmcdonald

• Members

I'm thinking of maybe making t-shirts, actually - if I find time to remember.

Hmm. Actually, I need to remember that, I could do it seasonally I suppose...

The problem is that those are culled from about 100,000 "not so curious or entertaining" quotes that are probably giving me dain bramage on a daily basis....

Oh, they're very entertaining. Relatively speaking. :D_~

• Members

Phew... I hate to be the one to say this, but I think I'm going to avoid Georgia. I've done a little time in the general area (roughly Pensacola) and taught guitar in California for about a year, and-- not to say I haven't heard some amazing nuggets of joy drop from students' mouths-- I think the key here is location.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Originally Posted by chipmcdonald View Post

THE 2001 FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT CALENDAR (also known as "the Sticky Note Art Project":

"NEIL DIAMOND ROCKS!!!!"

That's really disturbing.

What's more disturbing is that I can maybe make the argument that the guy that said that can be credited for inventing "the Shocker".....

It looks like the 2007 season is already shaping up to be a fine one...

Although there's this one student I wish I could capture doing "Clarence Digsby, Smiths fan" (I suppose that will fly over most people's heads) that doesn't translate to the calendar very well, but.... Oh well.

• Members

THE 2005 SEASON - (Ansel Adams calendar)

"my mom wants me to learn "Crazy Train""

The funny thing about this one is given the age of the song, he/she could very well have been telling the truth here.

• Members

I think "minor Octave" is quite a reasonable term.

The concept is solid.

Like for example, lets say someone is playing a line in octaves, like the old jazz guitar and piano guys, then he/she starts to slide the upper note of the octave from a half step down each time and gliss into the actual high octave note, then they are quickly playing the "minor octave". I mean, it's a major 7 interval but it makes more sense to call the note a minor octave because of it's function.

If you are trying to teach this it would be simpler to communicate about what is being played by using the term "minor octave".

Here is why:

If the note of the octaves that he/she is playing is, for example, a minor 3rd on a dom 7 chord, say Eb on a C7, then in order to describe the "minor octave" in traditional terms, you would have to spell it as the major 7 from the flat 3rd (which is already out of the diatonic key so to speak) and you have already lost most people right there.

Plus If someone has any practicle knowledge they may argue that the 7th of Eb then in fact should be Db in a C7 chord.

Then you go way off track and the hour is up and the kid still can't play the lick.

So it is simpler to teach the note as a minor octave interval from the starting point (flat 3rd) especially if it is a gliss or ornament.

• Members

I think "minor Octave" is quite a reasonable term.

The concept is solid.

Like for example, lets say someone is playing a line in octaves, like the old jazz guitar and piano guys, then he/she starts to slide the upper note of the octave from a half step down each time and gliss into the actual high octave note, then they are quickly playing the "minor octave". I mean, it's a major 7 interval but it makes more sense to call the note a minor octave because of it's function.

If you are trying to teach this it would be simpler to communicate about what is being played by using the term "minor octave".

Here is why:

If the note of the octaves that he/she is playing is, for example, a minor 3rd on a dom 7 chord, say Eb on a C7, then in order to describe the "minor octave" in traditional terms, you would have to spell it as the major 7 from the flat 3rd (which is already out of the diatonic key so to speak) and you have already lost most people right there.

Plus If someone has any practicle knowledge they may argue that the 7th of Eb then in fact should be Db in a C7 chord.

Then you go way off track and the hour is up and the kid still can't play the lick.

So it is simpler to teach the note as a minor octave interval from the starting point (flat 3rd) especially if it is a gliss or ornament.

The only problem is that though it might be simpler, it's wrong. There's no such thing as a minor octave interval. Octaves, like fourths and fifths, are perfect in their standard form, not major. When you flat a perfect interval, you get a diminished interval, not a minor one. C1 --> C2 = perfect octave; C1 --> Cb2 = diminished octave.

• Members

The only problem is that though it might be simpler, it's wrong. There's no such thing as a minor octave interval. Octaves, like fourths and fifths, are
perfect
in their standard form, not major. When you flat a perfect interval, you get a diminished interval, not a minor one. C1 --> C2 = perfect octave; C1 --> Cb2 = diminished octave.

I stand humbly corrected.:thu:

• Members

I have been missing since the old SSS forum but had to share a couple of nuggets from the speakerbuilding world

"What color is the brown grill cloth?"

"What size is the 5 pound bag of acoustastuf?"

When asked about the cutout size for the speaker " My box don't have no holes in it."

Porting= " I just kept drilling holes till it sounded good."

Speaker size=" it is 17-13ths past 9 and a half."

" I have never built a speaker before but I want something that is as good as a Focal Grand Utopia."

Many more but you get the idea

• Members

Wow. Kids do say the darndest things.

My favorite (so far -- I hadda take a break on accounta my brain was hurting big):

"do you read stuff like that, those book things?"

UPDATE: new fave...

.. student refering to a band's recording: "the only real thing is the synth"

• Members

Phew... I hate to be the one to say this, but I think I'm going to avoid Georgia. I've done a little time in the general area (roughly Pensacola) and taught guitar in California for about a year, and-- not to say I haven't heard some amazing nuggets of joy drop from students' mouths-- I think the key here is location.

[understatement]Atlanta is a little different from Augusta.[/understatement]

Archived