Help! How do I remove super glue from a guitar?

sheepeH

• Members

I had a terrible accident and I spilt some Super glue (that liquid glue that cures really fast) on my guitar. Its black, poly finished. I tried to take it off with a damp soft cloth and it worked a little but the base of the glue is still there. How do I remove it without hurting the finish? I'm afraid chemicals and such will melt the poly and ill have this huge ugly hole in my guitar.

thanks for anybody who helps! :cry:

• Members

Acetone does it fast, but would likely make a tiny cloud spot. Nail polish remover has acetone in it & would work w/ a lot less risk, as it's basically a weaker version of acetone.

Lacquer thinner works, takes a little longer to dissolve it, but there is NO risk of hurting the poly, as the chemical bases are different.

.............. and in turn, removing things from a lacquer finish with mineral spirits is safe too.

Just sayin

GOOD LUCK!

• Members

Poly is pretty durable. You can probably get away with using nail polish remover on a rag with out hurting the finish. Try it first on an inconspicuous area first to make sure.

yeah it'll work. when I was young and stupid and oblivious to the risks it might have I used it to remove sticker residue off my old US Strat (late 90s model)

Archived