Trade 73 telecaster custom for a new strat and telecaster?

mnewb1

• Members

I am having my 73 telecaster custom worked on at the moment. Re-fretted with original bridge single coil put back in ( I had switched it years ago for a Duncan quarter pounder).

I started thinking: for what this vintage guitar is worth I could probably trade it for a new American strat and tele and have enough left over to get a re-issue 72 telecaster custom.

Am I crazy?

would you hang on to this guitar at any cost or trade it for three?

• Members

I'm having it replaced with medium frets instead of the small vintage frets. It's being done by Elderly Instruments in Lasing Michigan-a very reputable professional shop.

The new frets should improve its playability, but I totally understand how this hurts its complete vintage appeal.

Not sure I want to get rid of it, but...

• Members

If it was mine and I wasn't in love with it, I'd search and find the very cheapest 1973 in playable condition I could find and throw it up on eBay with a Buy It Now of maybe $500 more than that cheapest one and give the option of Best Offer.

I obviously have no idea anything about your guitar, but a real 1972 Tele Deluxe with the two big humbuckers was at my local guitar center for $4400 and it sold within a week. Again, I have no idea on your guitar but I know that that particular guitar was about 50 times better than the $700 Deluxes I've played that.

It was in good but very played condition and it was brown. Of course they are only going to go up in value, but if it was mine, and I thought it might be worth $3,500 right now and I could get $3,000 out of it, I'd sell it and they'd I'd probably kick my own ass 30 years from now when they are going for $15,000.

Archived