I tried my first Crate Palomino or V18 today

Midcitysaint

• Members

I was in Zoo Music in Fort Worth today just scoping out the PRS SE Soapbar when I see a little Valveking 8 watt thingy. I plug it in. Not bad, a little farty for an 8' speaker but not horrible. I then plug in a 5 watt Crate Palomino (the black one) not bad, a little loud actually because all it has is a volume knob.

I then hook up the Palomino V18 and was suddenly in sonic bliss. Oh how I loved it. Normally I'm a huge fan of the Peavey Classic 30 (which is what I was actually looking for) and my humble but fantastic sounding Crate Vintage Club 50 2x12. I'm seriously considering a V18 now...I love the growl of a P90 in a heavily overdriven amp. Distortion really isn't the word, growl is more like it. At about 1/2 way to 3/4 way on the gain there is a TASTY little spot on that amp that almost brought me to tears. I then saw it was made in China and backed off to see what you guys think of these on the forum before I do anything drastic. BTW...reliability means a lot to me. It's the only thing preventing me from fronting the dough for a Top Boost AC15.

• Members

I then saw it was made in China and backed off to see what you guys think of these on the forum before I do anything drastic. BTW...reliability means a lot to me.

I didn't know they were being made in China now. They were being made in Vietnam. Mine was made in USA. I would trust one made in China more than one made in Vietnam. Great little amp IMO.

CrateV16.jpg

FP

• Members

What I don't understand is why Crate would outsource overseas but the price point is the same as the American ones.

The answer may be found in a sentence which includes the words 'capitalism' and 'profit'.

Archived