Types of wood parody

felipemomo

• Members

im between buying an LP Studio and a Jackson Rhoads RR5. first of all i should say i dont want answers from LP maniacs going "JACKSON IS {censored}E, GIBSON CRUSHES IT!". i never tried either guitar in person, and dont quite have where to try them (costa rica: no jackson dealers, one gibson dealer, where you cant try out gibsons), my dad will buy it for me when he goes to las vegas.

So, where im going is, i want a guitar with kick in the low end and sustain-as-hell in the high end. i would also like my guitar with a whammy (great tool) which inclines me to the jackson. i also want a round, smooth clean tone, that i cant quite achive with my Squire Fender Strat, ive heard some of this tone in epiphone LPs, but if i have enough for a gibson, why would i bother Epiphone? and i would finally also like some good pinch harmonic response also.

for these needs which would you recommend? oh, and also, the jackson i want is alder body and neck through, will that lend me good sustain? what properties of tone does alder have?

• Members

im between buying an LP Studio and a Jackson Rhoads RR5. first of all i should say i dont want answers from LP maniacs going "JACKSON IS {censored}E, GIBSON CRUSHES IT!". i never tried either guitar in person, and dont quite have where to try them (costa rica: no jackson dealers, one gibson dealer, where you cant try out gibsons), my dad will buy it for me when he goes to las vegas.

So, where im going is, i want a guitar with kick in the low end and sustain-as-hell in the high end. i would also like my guitar with a whammy (great tool) which inclines me to the jackson. i also want a round, smooth clean tone, that i cant quite achive with my Squire Fender Strat, ive heard some of this tone in epiphone LPs, but if i have enough for a gibson, why would i bother Epiphone? and i would finally also like some good pinch harmonic response also.

for these needs which would you recommend? oh, and also, the jackson i want is alder body and neck through, will that lend me good sustain? what properties of tone does alder have?

The Jackson.

• Members

So, where im going is, i want a guitar with kick in the low end and sustain-as-hell in the high end.

Well, first get an ALL TUBE high gain amp (and don't use a crappy disto pedal) for those two things. Then actually tests the guitars out in person before your father goes on his trip. Also about good pinch harmonic response

A. PRACTICE YOUR {censored}ING TECHNIQUE!

B. PRACTICE MORE!

(You should be able to coax them with single coils on a clean channel, once you've done that look into a high gain amp)

C. Jazz IIIs help alot if you're into those picks

D. Get a tube amp...

Those guitars are about as opposite as you can get

Jackson RR5------Gibson LP Studio

Floyd Rose-------------------No FR

Alder (bright wood)--------- Mohagany (warm wood)

25.5 scale--------------------24.75 scale

Slim neck--------------------Thick neck

SD pickups-------------------Gibson pickups

V style body (i hate em for sitting)--Double cut style body

Light---------------------------Heavy

Another thing to consider is Gibson has poor quality control. Either you get an awesome guitar or a disappointing guitar so make sure your Father checks for any thing iffy if you choose the LP.

• Members

What Guns said.

The 2 guitars are as different as you can possibly get.

Felipe, you need to make a field trip to somewhere that has both of these guitars and sit down and try each of them. I know that's not going to be easy for you - as you said - but it will be worth doing.

Also, as has been mentioned in the responses here, I would certainly get an all tube amp for whatever guitar you buy. It doesn't need to be a massive beast costing thousands but will make a huge difference to the sound you get from your chosen guitar. Something small like a Peavey Valve King or one of the sub 30 watt tube Fender amps will do.

Finally, I wouldn't restrict myself to those two particular guitars. I'm saying that as they are so different and will sound and play completely different. It sounds to me as if you might be better off with a guitar somewhere between those two you've mentioned.

Have a look on this forum about what others say about various guitars and see if there's anything that jumps out.

• Members

Dude if you find this guitar that you are describing let me know what it is because I want it too.

Seriously though it looks like you are looking for something that will do everything and that isn't a bad thing. If it was me, I would pass on the LP to be completely honest (and I love LP's). The problem is that you really need to handpick it and to be perfectly honest I am not sure that it would cover the stuff you want to do. If you really want a tremolo than you are still going to want one later on.

• Members

yeah, im doubting on how much i would really use a LP, and how much of my needs it would cover.

about the amp:

i already paid around 900 bucks for my current amp (AVT halfstack) which is a hybrid, but it delivers a nice tone.

a valveking is an nice option, but again, the distributor of Peavey in costa rica doesnt have of those. anyway, im fine with my amp, at least as long as i dont have a job.

the jackson is a good option, better one. i was also thinking on a 7 string ESP (dont remember the exact model), or a BC Rich Warbeast (which is sweet from what ive heard).

• Members

I don't prefer Jacksons myself, but for what you are talking.... get the Jackson

For a better understanding of parody:

Title:

GUITAR PLAYING PIG FARMER UPSET BY USE OF "SPAM"

suggested content:

It's not that I don't like spam, either in a can or even on the computer. The problem is this:

I have a beautiful sow who loves to listen to me play guitar. She likes it so much, that I have even let her hang out while I take lessons on HC.

Now what's been happening is that she has been getting on the computer without me around. In the past two weeks, she has gone from being a prize winning beauty, to a lazy old pig who won't even come when I call her anymore. ;-)

I hired the pig whisperer to come over & he says that all she does is lay there and whine.... SPAM..... SPam.... Spam....... spam

He has no idea what to do!

Help is appreciated from anyone else who has been in this situation and I am not prejudice at all. Responses from Goat farmers, sheep herders & even regular guitarists will be welcomed!

(don't quote me, but I think that would be a parody thread)

Archived