anybody ever use "bare Knuckle" pickups?

Avalanchemaster

• Members

I liem'em, but with the exchange rate at 2 to 1, a HB is $300. For that, I can get a use Tom Holmes and for less than 1/2 of that, i can get anything cusotm wounfd for me by a good half dozen makers or so.

So, I have to just sit and wait for at least the next election, but probably longer for the dollar to rise again.

• Members

I have a bare knuckle warpig in my SG that arrived back from the workshop only Friday, I am so far impressed, very thick and great clarity. It needed raising to get the lead screaming a litle more, but it is very articulate, heavy funky string muting is the best I've come across yet - it is very revealing though, I am confident this will result in my playing improving further.

• Members

+1 on the warpig. It's a very versatile pickup - hot enough for getting heavy overdrive or distortion, but without sacrificing the clean tone.

It is a shame for you guys in the US that the exchange rate makes them so expensive... but on other hand I can stock up on spares from GFS for peanuts.. :D

• Members

I have three different BK PUs in two different guitars: a Mississippi Queen HB-sized P90 in my modded Epi Jr slide guitar, plus my JD Tele now has a Yardbird bridge PU and a Strat-neck Irish Tour up front. All three are fabulous: the MQ turned a peezasheet into something superb, and the other pairing elevated the JD from 'excellent' to 'masterpiece.' Love 'em all, and Tim Mills is available on the other end of phone, and seriously helpful when consulted.

Wealth warning: NOT CHEAP. Not even if you live in the Yew Kay and spend

• Members

I have a set of BKP's and they're fine but BKP is just one of hundreds of pickup manufacturers - I think they're pretty expensive compared to other equally good small manufacturers so I'd say talk to other pickup rewinders and tell them which of the BKP's you like and ask how much they'd charge to build you a similar set. You could start with these two.....

http://store.manliusguitar.com/index.html

http://www.catswhiskerpickups.co.uk/

These guys both listen to what their customers want and produce it a lot cheaper than BKP.

Archived