Submitting Music to Clear Channel

danika

• Members

There's a good chance that radio stations will soon be required by law to pay the labels royalties per play on copyrighted music. Only makes sense that they would go to the masses, entice you will empty promises, get you to sign away ALL rights to your songs, including distribution and royalties, and even then, expect you to just hand it over for free.

Goes without saying that they will be looking for pro-studio radio quality material, which cost you how much to record and master? About 10K? maybe 1k per song? Give it away? Not on your life.

on behalf of yourself, your band members and all others who have an ownership interest in the "Content" (as defined below) (collectively, "You" or "you"). All capitalized terms shall have the meaning set forth in this Agreement.

License. You grant to Clear Channel the world-wide non-exclusive right and license, in perpetuity (unless terminated earlier by You or Clear Channel as set forth below), to use, copy, modify, adapt, translate, publicly perform, digitally perform, publicly display and distribute any sound recordings, compositions, pictures, videos, song lyrics, still images, Your name, picture, portrait, photograph, band information data, graphics, trademarks, text, information, screen names, profiles, newsletters, gig listings, playlists, podcasts, blogs, broadcasts, messages, software, XML, RSS and links and/or other content (collectively, the "Content") submitted by You to us on this website (the "Site"), including portions, composites, likenesses or distortions

Damn, they even want to own your image, website, and likeness.

• Members

There's a good chance that radio stations will soon be required by law to pay the labels royalties per play on copyrighted music. Only makes sense that they would go to the masses, entice you will empty promises, get you to sign away ALL rights to your songs, including distribution and royalties, and even then, expect you to just hand it over for free.

Goes without saying that they will be looking for pro-studio radio quality material, which cost you how much to record and master? About 10K? maybe 1k per song? Give it away? Not on your life.

Damn, they even want to own your image, website, and likeness.

If you're going to try to interpret the contract, I suggest you read the entire contract.

1. License. You grant to Clear Channel the world-wide non-exclusive right and license, in perpetuity (unless terminated earlier by You or Clear Channel as set forth below), to use, copy, modify, adapt, translate, publicly perform, digitally perform, publicly display and distribute any sound recordings, compositions, pictures, videos, song lyrics, still images, Your name, picture, portrait, photograph, band information data, graphics, trademarks, text, information, screen names, profiles, newsletters, gig listings, playlists, podcasts, blogs, broadcasts, messages, software, XML, RSS and links and/or other content (collectively, the "Content") submitted by You to us on this website (the "Site"), including portions, composites, likenesses or distortions or alterations of same, in whole and in part, and to prepare derivative works of, or incorporate into other works, the Content, in connection with the preparation transmission, operation, production and advertising of and for all media and methods checked by you below (check all boxes that are applicable).

3. Ownership. As between You and Clear Channel, Clear Channel acknowledges and agrees that You have all rights of ownership, including without limitation, all rights of copyright and copyright renewal in and to the Content. Clear Channel acknowledges that nothing in this license shall give Clear Channel any right, title or interest in the Content other than to use the Content as specified in this Agreement.

8. Termination and Repeat Infringer Policy. At any time after the date you first upload Content onto the Site, You may choose to terminate this Agreement for that Content by sending an e-mailed request to
identifying the Content and the specific date of submission. Clear Channel will make commercially reasonable efforts to delete the identified Content within sixty (60) days from the Clear Channel Services. Clear Channel will not be responsible for, and need not take any steps to withdraw or terminate the future distribution of, any copies of any of Your Content that may have been distributed (including by download) by Clear Channel or from the Site before we removed Your Content.

• Members

Danika,

I don't like this line in the contract "distribute any sound recordings".

Leaves me with the opinion they can sell your music and keep the profits to themselves. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but why would they distribute without the intention of selling. And where does it acknowledge any compensation to you.

I don't like, no, I don't like it one bit!

John:rolleyes:

• Members

Danika,

I don't like this line in the contract
"distribute any sound recordings".

Leaves me with the opinion they can sell your music and keep the profits to themselves. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but why would they distribute without the intention of selling. And where does it acknowledge any compensation to you.

Well first you would have to prove they sold "your" music.

But who would they sell it to? I think it might be fairly obvious if they put it in the background of a local ad - maybe they can get away with it by transferring it to a different market, but that's more trouble than what it's worth.

And I've been there before: A local business owner was a fan of my last band and wanted to use our music in a commercial - but unfortunately they didn't ask permission from us (which would have been cool). So instead I hear the commercial one day in the car and call the station like a jackass in a rage...moving on...

Clear Channel has a whole database of owned material at their disposal for commercial use already.

Bottom line is that it's just standard boilerplate so that you can't get pissed and sue if the local DJ photohacks tittys and a "SUCKS" stamp over your pics on the main radio site.

• Members

Bottom line is that it's just standard boilerplate so that you can't get pissed and sue if the local DJ photohacks tittys and a "SUCKS" stamp over your pics on the main radio site-Germs

Yeah, Clear Channel certainly thought of everything to cover their butts. I still don't like it. No, I don't like it one bit!:eekphil:

John:cop:

• Members

Danika,

I don't like this line in the contract
"distribute any sound recordings".

I don't like, no, I don't like it one bit!

John:rolleyes:

That's pretty much how I read it. Every time they say in another part of the contract that YOU own it, they negate it in another part saying that they own rights to it. What good is owning something if someone else is profiting from it?

Archived